Doubt with power of lens with 2 media

In summary: Using the correct formula will give you the correct focal length. In summary, the focal length of a biconvex lens with refractive index n2, bounded by media of RI n1 and n3, can be found using the formula 1/f = (n2/n1 - 1)/R1 + (n2/n3 - 1)/R2, where R1 and R2 are the radii of curvature of the lens. This takes into account the different powers of each surface of the lens.
sachin123
This is more of a general question.

Suppose there is a biconvex lens(Radii are R1 and R2) with Refractive index =n2,it is bounded on 2 sides by media of RI=n1,n3.
Now if I have to find its focal length,
1/f=(n2-n1)/R1+(n2-n3)/R1.
Is it correct?

Suppose it were correct,
If there is a biconvex lens with radii of curvatures R,with refractive index(RI)=n2 and surrounded by medium of RI=n1,then its power is,(n2/n1-1)(2/R)(Lens maker formula).Correct?
But if we consider individual surfaces and use Power=(n2-n1)/R for 1rst and (n1-n2)/R for the second surface,and add them,I get Power=(n2-n1)(2/R).The two are different.
Now where did i go wrong?

Wrong?
Or should it be used like(I read in many places):
1/f=((n2/n1)-1)/R1+((n2/n3)-1)/R1.
or
1/f=((n2/n1)-1)/R1+((n3/n2)-1)/R1.
Please explain.
I am seriously confused:(.
I would explain more if didn't understand.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
. The correct formula to find the focal length of a biconvex lens with refractive index n2, bounded by media of RI n1 and n3, is: 1/f = (n2/n1 - 1)/R1 + (n2/n3 - 1)/R2. This is because the power of a lens is given by (n2/n1 - 1)(2/R) where R is the radius of curvature of the lens. In this case, each surface of the lens has a different power, so you need to add the powers of each surface to get the total power of the lens.

Related to Doubt with power of lens with 2 media

1. What is the power of a lens?

The power of a lens is a measure of its ability to bend light. It is expressed in diopters (D) and is determined by the curvature and thickness of the lens.

2. How is the power of a lens affected by the media it is placed in?

The power of a lens is affected by the refractive index of the media it is placed in. A higher refractive index will result in a greater power, while a lower refractive index will result in a lower power.

3. What is the relationship between the power of a lens and the focal length?

The power of a lens is inversely proportional to its focal length. This means that a lens with a higher power will have a shorter focal length, and vice versa.

4. How does the power of a lens change when light passes through two different media?

When light passes through two different media, the power of a lens will change due to the change in refractive index. This is known as refraction and is the basis for how lenses work.

5. Can the power of a lens be adjusted?

Yes, the power of a lens can be adjusted by changing the curvature or thickness of the lens. This can be done through various methods such as changing the shape of the lens or adding a coating with a different refractive index.