Doubt regarding PLL 565 free running frequency

In summary, the conversation involves the individual trying out an LM565 PLL IC and designing a basic circuit to check the free running frequency of 2.5 KHz. They verify the frequency by not giving any input signal, but have trouble with the capture range not including the f0 frequency. They discuss the possibility of grounding the input pin and the importance of understanding the loop filter and capture range. The conversation also touches on the output signal having a phase difference and the use of a LM567 for a logic output.
dexterdev
Hi PF,
I am trying out LM565 PLL IC and designed the basic circuit for checking free running frequency f0 (2.5 KHz). I verified the f0 by not giving any input signal (input pin floating, should I GND it ??)

Now the problem is that while sweeping the frequencies up and down the free running frequency doesn't come inside the capture range. :confused:

What to do now?

-Devanand T

Engineering news on Phys.org
dexterdev said:
Hi PF,
I am trying out LM565 PLL IC and designed the basic circuit for checking free running frequency f0 (2.5 KHz). I verified the f0 by not giving any input signal (input pin floating, should I GND it ??)
I expect it should be grounded.
Now the problem is that while sweeping the frequencies up and down the free running frequency doesn't come inside the capture range. :confused:
How did you come to conclude this?

Because I designed the PLL with f0 = 2.5 KHz. I verified with the waveform through oscilloscope. But the capture range doesnot include the f0 when tried. I tried the experiment as in explained in

http://www.edaboard.com/thread283028.html#post1210267

f0 doesnot comes inside frequencies A and C

Read the section on loop filter and capture range.
If your loop is intentionally made slow, to give a narrow capture range, it'll be slow to lock and you may sweep across its whole capture range before it locks.

Start with values that give a wide capture range. And of course stop the sweep when lock is achieved.

So the output signal will have the same frequency and phase of input
actually it'll have a phase difference - that's how the phase detector develops an error signal for the VCO... probably ~90 degrees when locked at F0

Watching it "lock in" first time is a real thrill. Be sure to use chop mode so it'll show true phase releation.

You might experiment with a LM567. It gives a logic output when lock is achieved that can light a LED for you.

Last edited:

Dear Devanand T,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about the LM565 PLL IC and its free running frequency. From your description, it seems that you have designed a basic circuit to test the free running frequency at 2.5 KHz. It is important to note that the free running frequency is the frequency at which the PLL will operate without any external input signal. In order to verify this frequency, it is recommended to ground the input pin to ensure that there is no external signal interfering with the results.

However, it appears that you are encountering an issue with the capture range while sweeping the frequencies up and down. This could be due to a number of factors such as incorrect circuit design, component values, or external interference. I would suggest double checking your circuit design and component values to ensure they are correct. Additionally, it may be helpful to troubleshoot for any potential external interference that could be affecting the results.

If the issue persists, I would recommend consulting the datasheet for the LM565 PLL IC and reaching out to the manufacturer for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific guidance for your circuit and help troubleshoot any potential issues.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck with your project.

Sincerely,

Related to Doubt regarding PLL 565 free running frequency

1. What is the purpose of a PLL 565 circuit?

The PLL 565 circuit is a type of phase-locked loop circuit that is commonly used in electronic devices to generate stable and precise clock signals. It is especially useful in digital systems where timing is critical, such as in microprocessors, communication systems, and audio devices.

2. How does a PLL 565 circuit work?

A PLL 565 circuit consists of three main components: a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO), a phase detector, and a low-pass filter. The VCO generates an output signal with a frequency that is dependent on the input voltage. The phase detector compares the phase of the VCO output signal with a reference signal and sends a control voltage to the VCO to adjust its frequency accordingly. The low-pass filter smoothes out any fluctuations in the control voltage, resulting in a stable and precise output frequency.

3. What is the free running frequency of a PLL 565 circuit?

The free running frequency of a PLL 565 circuit is the output frequency that the VCO generates when there is no input signal or when the input signal is not locked to the reference signal. This frequency is determined by the characteristics of the VCO, such as its operating voltage and temperature, and can vary slightly from circuit to circuit.

4. How can I calculate the free running frequency of a PLL 565 circuit?

The free running frequency can be calculated using the formula f0 = KVCO / (2 * π * RF * CF), where KVCO is the VCO gain, RF is the resistance of the feedback resistor, and CF is the capacitance of the feedback capacitor. These values can be found in the datasheet of the specific PLL 565 circuit.

5. How can I ensure stable and accurate free running frequency in a PLL 565 circuit?

To ensure stable and accurate free running frequency in a PLL 565 circuit, it is important to choose high-quality components with precise values and temperature stability. Also, proper PCB layout and power supply decoupling can help minimize any external noise or interference that could affect the output frequency. Additionally, regular calibration and adjustment of the circuit may be necessary to maintain its accuracy over time.