Doubt on conservation of angular momentum

In summary: So, the equation that applies to the moment about the impact point is,Jl = (1/2)ml^2 ω + mlvFrom the second equation, v = J/mSo, Jl = (1/2)ml^2 ω + Jl0 = (1/2)ml^2 ωSo, ω = 0This is correct but not very useful. We cannot find the final kinetic energy from this as the rod will stop rotating as soon as the impulse is given. In summary, for this problem, it is best to take moments about the centre of mass as it simplifies the problem and gives a useful equation to find the final kinetic energy.
ubergewehr273

Homework Statement

A uniform thin rod of length ##2l## and mass ##m## lies on a horizontal table. A horizontal impulse ##J## is given to the rod at one end. There is no friction. The total kinetic energy of the rod after impulse will be ?

Homework Equations

##Jl=I\omega##
##J=mv_{cm}##
##K=\frac {1} {2} mv^2_{cm} + \frac {1} {2} I_{cm}\omega^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the 2nd equation it is evident that ##v_{cm}## is known. However while calculating ##\omega## after impulse is applied, my doubt is about which point are we supposed to conserve angular momentum? I get the answer while conserving about COM of rod but technically speaking doesn't impulse ##J## provide an external torque about the COM ? So, then about which point should we conserve angular momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work.

Orodruin said:
Please show your work.
From 1st equation ##v_{cm}=\frac j m## and from 2nd ##\omega=\frac {3J} {ml}##
Using the 3rd ##(I_{cm}=\frac {ml^2} {12})##
##K=\frac{mv^2} {2} + \frac{m(2l)^2\omega^2} {24}##
Therefore $$K_{final}=\frac{2J^2} {m}$$

Ashes Panigrahi said:
my doubt is about which point are we supposed to conserve angular momentum? I get the answer while conserving about COM of rod but technically speaking doesn't impulse ##J## provide an external torque about the COM ? So, then about which point should we conserve angular momentum?

Angular momentum about any point is conserved. Taking the COM may be the best choice to solve the problem.

Ashes Panigrahi said:
doesn't impulse J provide an external torque about the COM ?
Whether it is external depends on your defintion of "the system".
You wrote Jl=Iω. If we consider the J as external to the system then that equation acknowledges that the angular momentum is not conserved. It is changed by the external impulse J.
Or we can take the source of J as being part of the system so that J is internal. But now we have to take Jl as the initial angular momentum of the system. Either way we get the same equation.

Likes scottdave
PeroK said:
Angular momentum about any point is conserved
About any fixed point in space, yes, or about the COM as a variable point.
And to illustrate, we could take moments about the point in space where impact occurred, so angular momentum is zero throughout: Iω+mvl=0.

Likes PeroK
Ok, what if I wish to conserve angular momentum about impact point. Then what equation must I write because throughout it will be 0
haruspex said:
About any fixed point in space, yes, or about the COM as a variable point.
And to illustrate, we could take moments about the point in space where impact occurred, so angular momentum is zero throughout: Iω+mvl=0.
I didn't quite understand the last point.

Ashes Panigrahi said:
Ok, what if I wish to conserve angular momentum about impact point. Then what equation must I write because throughout it will be 0

I didn't quite understand the last point.
After impact, the rod is rotating at rate ω, contributing Iω to its angular momentum, and with linear momentum mv. The line of motion is distance l from the reference point, so that linear momentum also contributes mvl to the angular momentum, bringing the total to Iω+mvl.

Ashes Panigrahi said:

I think you are confused about "conservation of angular momentum about a point" and "taking moments about a point". In fact, you got me confused too! This problem is about analysing a sudden impulse, which is not directly concerned with conservation of angular momentum, as the impulse provides a change to the angular momentum (about any point).

Conservation of angular momentum applies to the motion after the impulse has been given.

Related to Doubt on conservation of angular momentum

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant over time, as long as no external torque acts on the system.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

Why is conservation of angular momentum important?

Conservation of angular momentum is important because it is a fundamental principle that governs the motion of objects in the universe. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of rotating systems, such as planets, stars, and galaxies.

Can angular momentum be created or destroyed?

No, angular momentum cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one object to another or converted into other forms of energy.

How does conservation of angular momentum apply to everyday life?

Conservation of angular momentum applies to everyday life in various ways, such as the spinning of a top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the motion of a figure skater performing a spin. It also plays a role in many industrial and technological applications, such as the operation of turbines and gyroscopes.