Doubling the energy of an oscillating mass on a spring

In summary, the homework statement says that the amplitude is related to the energy and that it can only be used for circular motion. Option A is correct and it involves increasing the amplitude by √2. Option B is also correct and it involves increasing the angular frequency by √2.
Turion

Homework Statement

Attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From my calculations, option A is correct. What am I doing wrong? Also, I can't find a relationship between amplitude and energy.

[tex]{ KE }_{ max }=\frac { 1 }{ 2 } m{ { v }_{ max } }^{ 2 }\\ =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } m{ (rω) }^{ 2 }\\ =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } mr^{ 2 }{ ω }^{ 2 }\\ { { KE }'_{ max } }=\frac { 1 }{ 2 } mr^{ 2 }{ (\sqrt { 2 } ω })^{ 2 }\\ =m{ r }^{ 2 }{ ω }^{ 2 }\\ =2{ KE }_{ max }[/tex]

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org
By conservation of mechanical energy during SHM,

KE + PE = constant.

Total energy = constant = ½kA2

Where A is the amplitude, so option A should be correct.

rock.freak667 said:
By conservation of mechanical energy during SHM,

KE + PE = constant.

Total energy = constant = ½kA2

Where A is the amplitude, so option A should be correct.

Option A doesn't involve amplitudes though. You mean option B?

Okay, I understand now how I increasing the amplitude by √2 doubles total energy. However, it seems that increasing angular frequency by √2 also doubles total energy, so are both option A and option B correct?

yep. Nice work!

Edit: is the mark scheme saying that only B is correct? as you said, it looks like A and B are both true.

Arghh... I'm not sure how my physics professor missed that. Now I'm a little nervous that she might mark my correct answers as wrong for the final tomorrow.

Thanks for the help! :)

Turion said:
Okay, I understand now how I increasing the amplitude by √2 doubles total energy. However, it seems that increasing angular frequency by √2 also doubles total energy, so are both option A and option B correct?

I meant option B, sorry.

In your equations, you used v=rω which is for circular motion. Your motion happens to be a mass oscillation.

rock.freak667 said:
In your equations, you used v=rω which is for circular motion. Your motion happens to be a mass oscillation.

Oh, I see. This is my fault for plugging and chugging. I have to understand what the equations mean.

So I can only use v=rω for circular motion (i.e. two-dimensional oscillations) only? It doesn't apply to one-dimensional oscillations?

still, even for mass oscillation, the 'angular frequency' is defined by the equation:
[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} [/tex]
Even though it is not related to a circular motion. So I think A and B should both be correct.

Edit: but yeah, as rockfreak says, it is not circular motion, so the calculation should be a bit different.

Turion said:
So I can only use v=rω for circular motion (i.e. two-dimensional oscillations) only? It doesn't apply to one-dimensional oscillations?
yeah. After all, the velocity in one-dimensional SHM should be varying, right?

BruceW said:
yeah. After all, the velocity in one-dimensional SHM should be varying, right?

Yes, it does vary. But what does that have to do with it?

30 seconds of thinking...

Oh wow! Brilliant!

So the equation v=rω makes use of the fact that the magnitude of velocity in circular motion stays constant!

yes, for uniform circular motion.

edit: I mean yes, for uniform circular motion the magnitude of velocity is constant, so the angular frequency is constant. (i.e. a parameter of the system).

Related to Doubling the energy of an oscillating mass on a spring

1. How is the energy of an oscillating mass on a spring doubled?

The energy of an oscillating mass on a spring can be doubled by increasing either the amplitude or the frequency of the oscillation. This can be achieved by applying a greater force to the mass or by adjusting the spring constant.

2. What is the formula for calculating the energy of an oscillating mass on a spring?

The formula for calculating the energy of an oscillating mass on a spring is E = 1/2 * k * A^2, where E is the energy, k is the spring constant, and A is the amplitude of the oscillation.

3. How does doubling the energy of an oscillating mass affect its motion?

Doubling the energy of an oscillating mass will result in an increase in the amplitude of the oscillation. This means that the mass will move further from its equilibrium position and have a higher velocity, resulting in a faster and more energetic motion.

4. What are the practical applications of doubling the energy of an oscillating mass?

Doubling the energy of an oscillating mass can be useful in various applications such as creating more powerful vibrations in musical instruments, improving the efficiency of mechanical systems, and increasing the sensitivity of devices such as seismometers.

5. Is it possible to double the energy of an oscillating mass indefinitely?

No, it is not possible to double the energy of an oscillating mass indefinitely. As the energy increases, the amplitude of the oscillation also increases, eventually reaching a limit where the spring cannot support the mass any further. This is known as the elastic limit of the material and going beyond it can result in permanent deformation or breakage.