Double Sunrise Phenomenon Explanation?

• Thread starter Cmotive98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photography
Cmotive98
How did you find PF?: Googling about a double sunrise phenomenon, since I have just photographed and videoed one.

I just want to share some photos, and a video, I personally took sitting in the observation deck of a cruise ship between Cabo, San, Lucas, and Ensenada, Mexico, while out at sea. The date was November 11, 2023 at sunrise. I am a retired nurse. I am not a physics expert and I am not currently a student, but I want to share this in case anyone is interested. By the way, this is not a hoax, I visualized this with my own eyes, as well as through the camera lens of my iPhone. I was, however, sitting on an observation deck of a cruise ship behind the windows. Some of the smaller specs of light are reflections from the lights behind me.

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2029.jpeg
    IMG_2029.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2033.jpeg
    IMG_2033.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Wow
Likes dlgoff
Physics news on Phys.org
Cmotive98 said:
I just want to share some photos, and a video
:welcome:

I can't see a video, but I suspect this is caused by an internal reflection, and you were not looking straight through the window at right angles, rather you were looking to your right.

The light from the Sun travels through the glass and when it reaches the inside surface some of it reflects back towards the outside (the glass is treated to make quite a lot of it reflect back outside, particularly towards the red end of the spectrum, to stop the inside of the ship heating up like a greenhouse). When this reflected light reaches the outside surface, again some of it reflects back, this time towards you, and because of the thickness of the glass and the angle you are looking at it, the path of this part of the light follows a zig-zag and it is displaced to the left.

You therefore see a second image of the Sun, dimmer and somewhat redder, to the left of the main image. The phenomenon is similar to Pepper's ghost.

Of course this is only a guess based on the fairly limited information in the pictures: it could be that some other phenomenon is taking place.

Likes phinds
Cmotive98 said:
I was, however, sitting on an observation deck of a cruise ship behind the windows. Some of the smaller specs of light are reflections from the lights behind me.
In the double or more Suns case, the windows are vertical on both sides of the ship, but taper towards the end of the vessel. You are in the wedge, between those partially reflective sheets, so you see multiple internal reflections spread along the horizon. That can only happen when the Sun is so low that it also falls on the back wall windows of the wedge space.

My old JCB backhoe has a rear window, that when opened, swings around to lie against the side window, where it forms a wedge from the two sheets of tinted glass. Sunlight passes through the two sheets of glass, then there is an internal reflection that produces an attenuated, but still sharp image, near the first. That continues half a dozen times along the wedge of the windows. The third image can be conveniently viewed by eye to see sunspots. During the transit of Venus, I took a photo of the planet against the Sun. When I looked at the image later, I see a spider's web on the glass. The camera had autofocussed on the glass surface.

Experiment. Get two pieces of tinted glass, make a wedge using different spacers on two sides. View the Sun or a light through both, while playing with the geometry. The order of the multiple images, can be identified by their falling brightness.

Likes Cmotive98
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. It makes a lot of sense. I had been thinking it was reflecting off of something in the atmosphere.

Another possible explanation, meteorological rather than depending on the windows, is something called a 'sundog' or 'mock sun' usually involving refraction through atmospheric ice crystals.

More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

• Informative
Likes berkeman and phinds
diogenesNY said:
Another possible explanation, meteorological rather than depending on the windows, is something called a 'sundog' or 'mock sun' usually involving refraction through atmospheric ice crystals.
That is true.
A sun dog can be identified by, the fixed, very close to 22° angular separation between the Sun and a dog. In the case of the OP pictures, judging by the angular size of the double-reflected Sun's disc, the separation is closer to one tenth of that.

Given the opportunity, investigate closely the optical path involved. There are too many possibilities.
If you view the Sun through a wedge, you should see a fixed image separation, largely independent of incidence angle. If you view the Sun from inside, between the reflectors, you should see an image separation determined by the course dependent incidence angle.
The double reflection may also result from the construction of parallel double glazing on the observation deck. In that case, the image separation would also be course dependent.

What is the Double Sunrise Phenomenon?

The Double Sunrise Phenomenon occurs when an observer sees the sun rise, then briefly dip below the horizon, and rise again. This rare event is typically observed in polar regions and can be due to atmospheric refraction and the Earth's oblate shape.

What causes the Double Sunrise Phenomenon?

The primary cause of the Double Sunrise Phenomenon is the refraction of sunlight by the Earth's atmosphere. When the sun is below the horizon, the Earth's atmosphere bends the sunlight upwards, making the sun visible. Changes in atmospheric conditions can cause the sun to appear to set and then rise again shortly after.

Where can one observe the Double Sunrise Phenomenon?

This phenomenon is most commonly observed near the polar regions during certain times of the year when the sun's path is nearly parallel to the horizon. However, it can occasionally be seen in other parts of the world under exceptional atmospheric conditions.

Is the Double Sunrise Phenomenon predictable?

While it's challenging to predict the Double Sunrise Phenomenon due to its reliance on specific atmospheric conditions, it can sometimes be anticipated in certain polar regions during specific periods. Local meteorological conditions and astronomical calculations are necessary to make predictions.

How does the Double Sunrise Phenomenon differ from a typical sunrise?

A typical sunrise involves the sun rising once over the horizon without interruption. In contrast, the Double Sunrise Phenomenon involves the sun rising, dipping back below the horizon, and then rising again, creating a unique visual effect of two consecutive sunrises within a short period.