Double Slit Question: Find Angular Separation for m=2, 412 nm, 349 l/mm

In summary, the question is asking for the angular separation between two lines on a grating with 349 lines/mm when illuminated with light of a wavelength of 412 nm. The equation used is θ = mλ/d, where d is the distance between the lines on the grating. The distance can be calculated using the inverse relationship between the number of lines per mm and the distance between the lines. Using this equation, the angular separation is calculated to be approximately 0.28 radians, while the multiple choice answers are 26, 40, and 33 degrees.
metalmagik

Homework Statement

A grating with 349 lines/mm is illuminated with light of wavelength 412 nm What is the angular separation between the two lines formed in order m=2?

Homework Equations

[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = m[tex]\lambda[/tex]/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I did not know how to use this equation successfully since I did not have d. I do not know what the 349 lines/mm has to do with anything, so that is obviously what I'm missing. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a "double slit" question, it is a diffraction grating question, for which there is an appropriate equation. (Not the one you give)
d is the separation between the lines in the grating and is calculated from the number of lines per mm that is given by a simple inverse relationship.

That's okay, in diffraction problems the same equation is used for a diffraction grating and the double slit . (You can click on the terms "diffraction grating" and "double slit", in that previous sentence, for more info.)

There are 349 line spacings in 1 mm. Therefore, the distance between 2 adjacent lines is ___?

1/349! So that is equal to d? I worked the problem out for [tex]\vartheta[/tex] and I'm getting like .28, the multiple choice answers are 26, 40, and 33[tex]^{o}[/tex]...

Related to Double Slit Question: Find Angular Separation for m=2, 412 nm, 349 l/mm

1. What is the principle behind the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two narrow parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This interference pattern can only be explained using the wave theory of light.

2. What does the value of m=2 represent in the double slit question?

In the context of the double slit question, m=2 represents the order of the interference pattern. It is a measure of how many times the light waves have diffracted and interfered with each other before reaching the screen. In this case, m=2 indicates that the light waves have diffracted twice, resulting in a second-order interference pattern.

3. How is the angular separation calculated in the double slit question?

The angular separation is calculated using the formula θ = λ/d, where θ is the angular separation, λ is the wavelength of the light, and d is the distance between the two slits. In this case, the values given are θ = ?, λ = 412 nm, and d = 349 l/mm. Plugging these values into the formula, we get θ = 412 nm / (349 l/mm) = 1.18 x 10^-3 radians.

4. Why is the wavelength of the light important in the double slit question?

The wavelength of the light is important because it determines the spacing of the interference pattern on the screen. The interference pattern is created by the constructive and destructive interference of the light waves. If the wavelength is larger, the pattern will be more widely spaced, and if it is smaller, the pattern will be more closely spaced.

5. How does increasing the number of slits affect the interference pattern in the double slit experiment?

If the number of slits is increased, the interference pattern will become more complex. Instead of just two slits, there will be multiple slits, resulting in more diffraction and interference. This will cause the interference pattern to become more intricate and have more orders, making it more difficult to calculate the angular separation for a specific order.