Double Slit Interference (slit width relevant)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem given by a quantum physics teacher that involves calculating the interference figure on a scanning surface for an experiment on neutron diffraction. The dimensions of the double slit are measured and the individual is unsure of how to solve the problem but was advised to use Huygens principle. They also mention using a computer to solve the equation and suggest searching for information on Fraunhofer diffraction.
FreySmint
Hi everyone,

So my quantum physics teacher gave this problem to solve as homework:

An experiment to watch neutron diffraction was made. The neutron wavelenght measured was 18.45 Angstroms. The double slit was created by putting a thread in the middle of a single slit. The dimensions of the double slit were measured as 21.9, 104.1, 22.5 micrometers (left slit, thread, right slit). The slits are L meters away from the scanning surface that will detect the neutrons.
Calculate the interference figure on the scanning surface, not ignoring the width of the slits.

I guess I'll have to figure out an expression that gives an intensity that varies with a "y" (the length of the scanning surface) and probably integrate the width of the slits somewhere.
I really don't know how to do this, but my teacher said to use a computer to solve the equation...

Sorry for any misspelling or gramatical error, I'm translating all of this, as English is not my language.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Huygens principle.

Assuming that L is much larger than the dimensions of the slits, this is just like Fraunhofer diffraction in optics. A Fraunhofer diffraction pattern is calculated by evaluating an integral whose limits correspond to the edges of the slits. Some Google searching for things like "Fraunhofer diffraction integral" may help. You can probably find the derivation for two equal-width slits somewhere and modify it. I've seen it in intermediate-level optics textbooks such as Hecht or Pedrotti.

Related to Double Slit Interference (slit width relevant)

1. What is double slit interference?

Double slit interference is an optical phenomenon that occurs when light passes through two parallel slits and creates a pattern of light and dark bands on a screen. This phenomenon is caused by the interference of light waves from the two slits.

2. How does slit width affect double slit interference?

The width of the slits can affect the interference pattern produced. A narrower slit width will result in a wider spacing between the light and dark bands, while a wider slit width will result in a narrower spacing between the bands. This is due to the fact that the width of the slits affects the diffraction of light passing through them.

3. What is the relationship between slit width and the intensity of the interference pattern?

The intensity of the interference pattern is inversely proportional to the slit width. This means that as the slit width decreases, the intensity of the pattern increases, and vice versa. This is because a narrower slit allows more light to pass through and create a more intense interference pattern.

4. How does the distance between the slits affect double slit interference?

The distance between the slits, also known as the slit separation, affects the spacing between the interference bands. A larger slit separation results in a wider spacing between the bands, while a smaller slit separation results in a narrower spacing between the bands. This is because a larger slit separation allows for a longer path for the light waves to interfere with each other, resulting in wider bands.

5. Can double slit interference occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, double slit interference can occur with other types of waves such as sound waves and water waves. The underlying principle of interference remains the same, where waves from two sources overlap and produce a pattern of constructive and destructive interference. However, the specific patterns and effects may vary depending on the properties of the waves.