Double-Slit Interference Problem

In summary, the physics instructor is trying to produce a double-slit interference pattern with a desired distance between successive bright fringes on the screen. However, the formula used to calculate the minimum distance from the slits to the screen was incorrect and the value used for the separation between the slits was also incorrect. The correct calculation using the formula d = m* λ * D / a yields a minimum distance of 0.4171 m, which is within 3% of the initial incorrect answer.
KendrickLamar

Homework Statement

A physics instructor wants to produce a double-slit interference pattern large enough for her class to see. For the size of the room, she decides that the distance between successive bright fringes on the screen should be at least 2.81 cm. If the slits have a separation d = 0.0410 mm, what is the minimum distance from the slits to the screen when 590 nm light is used?

Homework Equations

L = x .d / m* λ

The Attempt at a Solution

L = x .d / m* λ
[(2.81)(.0410x10^-1)] / [(1)(590x10^-7) = 195.27 cm

i don't understand why this is wrong, we have this online quiz (which accepts answers within 3% of the correct answer) and some of my friends did it the same way, used the same exact formula plugged my numbers in for me too and they got the same answer as me, but for their quiz got it correct so i feel they just coincidentally got it right, and that it was w/in 3% for them but there's something I am doing wrong some slight thing that's turning out to make my answer incorrect.

Can anyone help me please ASAP?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum post author,

Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. I understand that you are trying to calculate the minimum distance from the slits to the screen in order to produce a double-slit interference pattern with a desired distance between successive bright fringes. However, your calculation using the formula L = x .d / m* λ seems to be incorrect.

Firstly, the formula you are using is for calculating the distance between the bright fringes on the screen, not the distance from the slits to the screen. In order to find the minimum distance from the slits to the screen, we need to use the formula d = m* λ * D / a, where d is the distance from the slits to the screen, m is the order of the bright fringe, λ is the wavelength of light, D is the distance between the slits, and a is the distance between the slits and the screen.

Secondly, I noticed that you used the value of 0.0410 mm for D, which is the separation between the slits. However, the question states that the separation between successive bright fringes on the screen should be 2.81 cm, which is equivalent to 0.0281 m. Therefore, the correct value to use for D in your calculation should be 0.0281 m.

Finally, when plugging in the values into the formula, we get d = (1)(590x10^-9)(0.0281) / (1)(0.0410x10^-3) = 41.71 cm. This is within 3% of your initial answer of 195.27 cm, which may explain why your friends got the same answer in their quiz. However, it is important to note that the correct answer should be in meters, not centimeters. Therefore, the final answer should be 0.4171 m.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and assists you in finding the correct answer for your quiz. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Double-Slit Interference Problem

1. What is the double-slit interference problem?

The double-slit interference problem is a phenomenon in physics where a single particle, such as a photon or an electron, passing through two slits creates an interference pattern on a screen, as if it were a wave. This phenomenon challenges our understanding of the behavior of particles and has significant implications for quantum mechanics.

2. How does the double-slit interference problem demonstrate wave-particle duality?

The double-slit interference problem demonstrates the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. In this phenomenon, the particle behaves as a wave, passing through both slits simultaneously and interfering with itself to create the observed pattern on the screen.

3. What is the significance of the double-slit interference problem?

The double-slit interference problem has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It challenges the traditional notion of particles as solid, discrete objects and instead suggests that they can behave as waves. This phenomenon has also been used as evidence for the concept of superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

4. How is the double-slit interference problem related to the observer effect?

The double-slit interference problem is related to the observer effect, which states that the act of measuring or observing a system can affect its behavior. In this case, the act of observing which slit the particle passes through can eliminate the interference pattern and cause the particle to behave solely as a particle, rather than a wave. This highlights the role of the observer in shaping the behavior of particles.

5. How has the double-slit interference problem been applied in real-world applications?

The double-slit interference problem has been applied in various real-world applications, including in the development of quantum technologies such as quantum cryptography and quantum computing. It has also been used in experiments to study the behavior of particles and to further our understanding of quantum mechanics. Additionally, the concept of interference has been applied in optics and electronics to improve the resolution and quality of images and signals.