Double-slit experiment with magnets and iron projectiles

In summary, the experiment proposed would involve firing projectiles through two slits with magnets at either side. If the projectiles are charged, then the experiment could show the effects of the Aharonov-Bohm effect. However, if the projectiles are not charged, then there would be no interference effects.
atomistic
Hi,

I am not sure if this kind of experiment has been performed before. If so, great, I would love to see the results. Anyway, here goes.

The double-slit experiments with photons, electrons and even http://hexagon.physics.wisc.edu/teaching/2010s%20ph531%20quantum%20mechanics/interesting%20papers/zeilinger%20large%20molecule%20interference%20ajp%202003.pdf" all display the characteristic interference patterns associated with waves. I am really interested to know what the pattern will be like if we where to generate the following setup.

Experimental setup:
1) Projectiles = round magnetic objects of same shape, size and mass and speed (e.g. iron ball-bearings)
2) A single slit and a double slit composed of magnets with equal "strength" (see figure)
Experiment.png

and
Experiment 2.png

Can it be done, has it been done and what are the results like or what do you think the results will be like?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They will be particles, with trajectory changed by the magnets. What are you trying to ask?

Bloodthunder said:
They will be particles, with trajectory changed by the magnets. What are you trying to ask?
I just want to know what the pattern would look like after the particles pass through the slits. An interference pattern of some sort or not?

Why would there be an interference pattern? There aren't any waves to speak of.

I just think it would be interesting to have experimental/empirical results for this kind of experiment. I don't know what to expect honestly, regardless of the fact that magnetic balls are not waves. What do you expect to see bloodthunder?

Well, I feel all you would see is probably just particles going through a slit, with the "intensities" on the other side corresponding to the number of slits, with the slits probably being slightly wider due to their trajectory being slightly shifted.
So... what is your purpose of experimentation? What are you trying to show?

Check out the Aharonov-Bohm effect...

You will see no interference effects with macroscopic objects like those described, only
their 'particle' nature can be observed.

DrFurious said:
Check out the Aharonov-Bohm effect...
Thanks. If I understand it correctly, the Aharonov-Bohm effect applies to electrically charged particles. Do you think an interference pattern will emerge if you replace it with "round magnetic objects of same shape, size and mass and speed"?

atomistic said:
Thanks. If I understand it correctly, the Aharonov-Bohm effect applies to electrically charged particles. Do you think an interference pattern will emerge if you replace it with "round magnetic objects of same shape, size and mass and speed"?

Would be fun to try. Although make sure you calculate the DeBroglie wavelength of whatever you're trying to shoot through the slits. That will tell you whether you're apt to see quantum effects or not.

DrFurious said:
Would be fun to try. Although make sure you calculate the DeBroglie wavelength of whatever you're trying to shoot through the slits. That will tell you whether you're apt to see quantum effects or not.
Changing the strength of the magnets are also likely to play a role right?

atomistic said:
Changing the strength of the magnets are also likely to play a role right?

Doesn't matter how strong your magnets are if the DeBroglie wavelength is too large. But you might get some different effects from higher field strengths (NMR, for example). Then again, the SQUID device works in extremely low fields. Thats almost what you drew.

Assuming that this experiment is somewhat velocity dependent(not sure), I wonder if the experimental apparatus itself could survive the mass impacts to produce results.

Related to Double-slit experiment with magnets and iron projectiles

1. How does the double-slit experiment with magnets and iron projectiles work?

The double-slit experiment with magnets and iron projectiles is a variation of the classic double-slit experiment in which two slits are used to produce an interference pattern. In this experiment, instead of using light or electrons, iron projectiles are used and a magnetic field is applied to one of the slits. This causes the iron projectiles to be deflected either towards or away from the magnetic field, resulting in a different interference pattern compared to the traditional double-slit experiment.

2. What is the purpose of using magnets in the double-slit experiment with iron projectiles?

The purpose of using magnets in this experiment is to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of matter. The iron projectiles, which are particles, behave like waves when passing through the magnetic field and produce an interference pattern, similar to how light or electrons behave in the traditional double-slit experiment.

3. What are the potential applications of the double-slit experiment with magnets and iron projectiles?

This experiment has potential applications in the field of quantum mechanics, as it provides insight into the behavior of matter at a microscopic level. It can also be used to study the properties of magnetic fields and their effects on particles. Additionally, the results of this experiment may have implications for technologies that rely on the manipulation of magnetic fields, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

4. How does the distance between the slits and the screen affect the interference pattern in the double-slit experiment with magnets and iron projectiles?

The distance between the slits and the screen can affect the interference pattern in this experiment. As the distance increases, the interference pattern becomes less defined and the peaks become broader. This is because the magnetic field has a weaker effect on the iron projectiles as they travel a longer distance.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges with conducting the double-slit experiment with magnets and iron projectiles?

One limitation of this experiment is that it is difficult to control the direction and strength of the magnetic field, which can affect the results. Additionally, the iron projectiles may also interact with other magnetic fields present in the surrounding environment, leading to potential errors in the data. Careful experimental design and control of external factors are necessary to obtain accurate results from this experiment.