Double Slit Experiment Question

In summary, the Double Slit Experiment shows that if a particle is measured or observed, it will only go through one slit. It is not possible to know which slit the particle went through without destroying the interference pattern. The book "Feynman Lectures Vol. 3" is a good starting point for further reading.
Astro_Will
I understand that in the Double Slit Experiment that the particle will only go through one slit if it is measured or observed. But will the particle only go through the slit observed or is it 50/50? Also any other info on the experiment that might help me or even just interest me? Any articles I should read?

Physics news on Phys.org
in quantum mechanical language,an electron has a definite amplitude to go through a hole and it is not possible to know through which hole it has gone because when one does that he destroys the interference .After it,it will be possible to know that through which hole it has passed but the interference pattern is destroyed because of measurement.A good reference to start is 'feynman lectures vol.3'.

Related to Double Slit Experiment Question

1. What is the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment is a classic experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles (such as electrons or photons) through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the Double Slit Experiment work?

In the Double Slit Experiment, a beam of particles is directed towards a barrier with two parallel slits. These slits act as sources of diffraction, causing the particles to spread out and interfere with each other. The resulting interference pattern is then captured on a screen behind the barrier.

3. What does the Double Slit Experiment prove?

The Double Slit Experiment proves that light and matter exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that particles can behave like waves and interfere with each other, and waves can behave like particles and be localized at specific points.

4. Why is the Double Slit Experiment important?

The Double Slit Experiment is important because it provides evidence for the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It also has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the role of observation in shaping it.

5. Can the Double Slit Experiment be performed with other particles besides light?

Yes, the Double Slit Experiment can be performed with other particles such as electrons, protons, and even large molecules. This further supports the idea that all particles exhibit wave-particle duality and that quantum mechanics applies to all matter.