Double slit experiment problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of monochromatic light with a wavelength of 625 nm and its interaction with an optical bar. The total number of light lines that appear behind the bar is 11, leading to a question about the constant of the diffraction bar, which could refer to either the grating constant or the distance between two lines. The conversation ends with a discussion about the units for 1/d and a clarification about the terminology used (double slit vs. diffraction bar).
diredragon

Homework Statement

monochromatic light of 625 nm of wavelength falls normal to the optical bar. Total number of light lines that appear behind the bar is 11. What is the constant of the difraction bar?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I tried ##dsinx=ms## where ##s## is the wavelength and ##m## is number of lines. Since x is 90 i can calculate the ##d## to find the distance between the slits but what is diffraction constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Constant of the diffraction bar" might be referring to the "grating constant". The grating constant usually denotes the number of lines of the grating per unit length (often given as lines per millimeter). However, I've also seen people refer to the distance between two lines as the grating constant. So, you might need to consult your notes or textbook to see how it is used in your course.

I think it is lines per mm, is that 1/d?

diredragon said:
I think it is lines per mm, is that 1/d?
Yes. If you express d in mm, then you can think of d as the number of mm per line (mm/line). So, the units for 1/d would be ...?

Your title for this thread refers to "double slit". But the question refers to a "diffraction bar", which I was thinking might be a diffraction grating. So, I'm not sure what you're actually dealing with here.

Related to Double slit experiment problem

1. What is the double slit experiment problem?

The double slit experiment problem is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. Why is the double slit experiment important?

The double slit experiment is important because it challenges our understanding of the behavior of light and matter. It has implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the fundamental nature of reality.

3. What are the different interpretations of the double slit experiment?

There are several interpretations of the double slit experiment, including the Copenhagen interpretation, which states that particles exist in multiple states until observed, and the many-worlds interpretation, which suggests that every possible outcome of the experiment actually occurs in different parallel universes.

4. How does the double slit experiment relate to the uncertainty principle?

The double slit experiment relates to the uncertainty principle because it demonstrates that particles can behave as both waves and particles at the same time, and their behavior is unpredictable. This challenges the idea of a deterministic universe and supports the concept of uncertainty at the quantum level.

5. What are the real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has led to advancements in technology, such as the development of quantum computers and cryptography. It also has implications for understanding the behavior of matter at the microscopic level, which can inform various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology.