Double Slit Diffraction Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a double-slit experiment and finding the wavelength of visible light that would have a minimum at the same location where blue light with a wavelength of 478 nm has a second-order maximum. The solution involves using the equation d*sin(θ)=(m+1/2)λ and noting that the m values for the two wavelengths should differ by one.
Moxin
In a double-slit experiment it is found that blue light of wavelength 478 nm gives a second-order maximum at a certain location on the screen. What wavelength of visible light would have a minimum at the same location?

-----

I have no clue how to approach this problem but looking in the book I assumed the wavelength with a minimum at that same location should be 3rd order (m=3) so I set up an equation as follows:

m1*Lambda(max) = m2*Lambda(min)
Lambda(min) = m1*Lambda(max)/m2 = (2*478*10^-9)/3 = 319 nm

Apparently it's wrong. I'm lost on where to go from here.. Any help ??

Physics news on Phys.org
The minimum from the second wavelength needn't be of the same order. Also, you need to note that diffraction minima are not described by the same equation as diffraction maxima.

The minima are located by:

d*sin(θ)=(m+1/2)λ

You have d and θ. You also need to note that m must be an integer.

Can you take it from there?

yeh i actually tried somethin like that before but i just now realized the other wavelength's m should be an order less (1, instead of 3) and i got it right, thanks tho !

Related to Double Slit Diffraction Problem

1. What is the double slit diffraction problem?

The double slit diffraction problem refers to a phenomenon in physics where a wave, such as light or sound, passes through two parallel slits and creates a pattern of interference on a screen behind the slits. This effect was first observed by Thomas Young in the early 1800s and has since been studied extensively in the field of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the double slit diffraction problem relate to wave-particle duality?

The double slit diffraction problem is a key example of the wave-particle duality principle in quantum mechanics. This principle states that particles, such as photons of light, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors. In the case of the double slit experiment, light behaves as both a wave, creating an interference pattern, and a particle, as individual photons pass through the slits.

3. What factors affect the interference pattern in the double slit diffraction problem?

The interference pattern in the double slit diffraction problem is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the wave, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Additionally, the presence of any obstructions or barriers can also impact the interference pattern.

4. Can the double slit diffraction problem be observed with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, the double slit diffraction problem can be observed with other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. In fact, the double slit experiment has been replicated with a variety of different waves, further supporting the wave-particle duality principle.

5. What are the practical applications of the double slit diffraction problem?

The double slit diffraction problem has several practical applications, including in the field of spectroscopy where it is used to analyze the properties of light. It also has applications in the development of new technologies, such as diffraction gratings used in optical instruments. Additionally, the double slit experiment has been used to study the nature of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.