Double sided arrow notation in Dirac Field Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of double sided arrow notation in the lagrangian of a Dirac field and its equivalent forms. The Lagrangian density is defined up to total 4D divergences and a symmetric form is preferred. However, it is not clear what the 2nd term in the equation should be and it is suggested to reformulate it in terms of the hermitian conjugate.
TAKEDA Hiroki
In a thesis, I found double sided arrow notation in the lagrangian of a Dirac field (lepton, quark etc) as follows.
\begin{equation}
L=\frac{1}{2}i\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\overset{\leftrightarrow}{D_{\mu}}\psi
\end{equation}
In the thesis, Double sided arrow is defined as follows.
\begin{equation}
A\overset{\leftrightarrow}{\partial_{\mu}}B:=A(\partial_{\mu} B)-(\partial_{\mu} A)B
\end{equation}
If covariant derivative is normal partial derivative ##D_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}##,both
$$L=\frac{1}{2}i\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\overset{\leftrightarrow}{\partial_{\mu}}\psi$$ and $$L=\frac{1}{2}i\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}{\partial_{\mu}}\psi$$ can give the same physical results, because the difference between two expressions is a total derivative.
But, in a normal covariant derivative case, I can not understand if these two expression give the same physical results. For example, when a covariant derivative is given by
$$D_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}+ieA_{\mu}$$
,this action is defined by
\begin{equation}
\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\overset{\leftrightarrow}{D_{\mu}}\psi=\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}(D_{\mu}\psi)-(D_{\mu}\overline{\psi})\gamma^{\mu}\psi
\end{equation}
?
In that case, how this action ##(D_{\mu}\overline{\psi})## is defined?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lagrangian density is defined up to total 4D divergences, as you correctly wrote above. Thus your Lagrangian should be equivalent to
$$\mathcal{L}=\overline{\psi} (\mathrm{i} \mathrm{D}_{\mu} \gamma^{\mu}+m) \psi.$$
It's a slight advantage to have a symmetric form of the Lagrangian, and that's why sometimes you find the symmetrized version of the Lagrangian you quoted.

I've not done the calculation, but I think as noted it's indeed not clear what the 2nd term in (3) should be. I guess to clarify this you should try to reformulate it in terms of
$$\overline{D_{\mu} \gamma^{\mu} \psi}=(D_{\mu} \gamma^{\mu} \psi)^{\dagger} \gamma^0.$$

Related to Double sided arrow notation in Dirac Field Lagrangian

What is double sided arrow notation in Dirac Field Lagrangian?

Double sided arrow notation in Dirac Field Lagrangian is a way of representing the spinor fields in the Lagrangian equation, which is used in quantum field theory to describe the dynamics of particles with spin 1/2. It is written as a double sided arrow above the spinor field, with a subscript indicating the spin of the particle.

Why is double sided arrow notation used in Dirac Field Lagrangian?

Double sided arrow notation is used in Dirac Field Lagrangian because it is a compact and convenient way of representing the spinor fields and their transformations. It also allows for the inclusion of both left- and right-handed spinor components in the Lagrangian equation.

What is the significance of the double sided arrow in Dirac Field Lagrangian?

The double sided arrow in Dirac Field Lagrangian represents the spinor nature of the fields, as spinor fields have both a left- and right-handed component. This notation helps to distinguish between the two components and their transformations.

How does double sided arrow notation affect the Lagrangian equation?

Double sided arrow notation does not affect the Lagrangian equation itself, but rather provides a way to represent the spinor fields and their transformations in a concise and consistent manner. It is simply a notation convention used in Dirac Field Lagrangian.

Are there alternative notations for representing spinor fields in Dirac Field Lagrangian?

Yes, there are alternative notations for representing spinor fields in Dirac Field Lagrangian. One alternative is the chiral notation, which uses the projection operators to separate the left- and right-handed spinor components. Another is the Weyl notation, which uses two-component spinors and a different representation of the gamma matrices.