Double Major in EE/CE=smart choice?

In summary, the individual is considering double majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a minor in physics. They have some concerns about the workload and the potential for being too narrow in their job prospects. They are also interested in working with computer parts and have a specific interest in photonics. They are seeking advice on whether this combination of majors would be a smart choice for their future.
KolMiner
I'm going to be going to college in about two and a half years, and I've spent some amounts of time trying to figure out what I should major in. So far, I've come up with this: Double major in Electrical and Computer Engineering, minor in physics.

I just have some questions for this, however.

Would this be too much for a college student?
I think, from what I've read on other sites, that majoring in two subjects might be a bit too much work load for a 4 year period, plus the minor, but CE and EE are both really similar, right? So the work probably should be minimized, at least slightly. Which brings me to my next question.

Would both majors in CE/EE be... Too narrow? For resumes, etc. Like are these two engineering majors too closely related so that a company would think I was wasting my time and would rather choose someone who has a broader range in experience? Or do they just not care?

What I'd like to do, is to work on building computer parts, like microprocessors and what not, which deals more with CE... But there are some things in EE that I find appealing, like photonics, please correct me if that isn't an actual EE "branch"

All I'm wondering is if double majoring in CE/EE with a minor of physics would be a smart choice for my future. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
KolMiner said:
I'm going to be going to college in about two and a half years, and I've spent some amounts of time trying to figure out what I should major in. So far, I've come up with this: Double major in Electrical and Computer Engineering, minor in physics.

I just have some questions for this, however.

Would this be too much for a college student?
I think, from what I've read on other sites, that majoring in two subjects might be a bit too much work load for a 4 year period, plus the minor, but CE and EE are both really similar, right? So the work probably should be minimized, at least slightly. Which brings me to my next question.

Would both majors in CE/EE be... Too narrow? For resumes, etc. Like are these two engineering majors too closely related so that a company would think I was wasting my time and would rather choose someone who has a broader range in experience? Or do they just not care?

What I'd like to do, is to work on building computer parts, like microprocessors and what not, which deals more with CE... But there are some things in EE that I find appealing, like photonics, please correct me if that isn't an actual EE "branch"

All I'm wondering is if double majoring in CE/EE with a minor of physics would be a smart choice for my future. Thanks.

From what I understand EE and CE are very very similar. I'm not sure you can even get a double major in engineering anyway, but there's no reason why you couldn't pick subjects that overlap in some way in both disciplines.

The way it works at my university is that for telecommunications, electrical and computer engineering, the first two years are the same and then you specialize in your last two years. Telecoms do things like markov statistics and information theory, EE does things like DSP, Power engineering and so on, and CompE focuses on computer architecture, communications and other things.

The majors are very very similar even in the event of choosing electives.

I'm not really sure if it would be worth it to minor in physics though, but that's just my opinion. You could probably learn physics on your own after doing something like EE. If you wanted to go to graduate school in physics, then you would most likely need to have a full major in physics.

My school only have EE and CS, so I can't say. But if they are similar, pick a university that you're considering, map out the classes, and see how the workload for each semester is. For me, a lazy bum, anything over 16 credits (for major related classes) is too much. But you might be smarter and work harder, so maybe you can handle 21 credits per semester. I know someone who has done that before.

If you like both major (and physic), I would say register for those two majors. Take as many class as you can. Then after attending those classes for a week or two, decide if you can handle the workload. Then readjust your plan. And that's also the important thing, know that you can still change your mind.

As for as getting hire, I don't know about other company. but my company focus more on a well rounded person. Yes, double majors is terrific. But they want a well rounded person. Someone who do well in school and has a little work experience. So don't forget to try to get internship early as possible. I know Department of Engergy accepts sophmore and juniors interns, and their internships are really cool. So it's something you want to look into. You can even start in your last year or high school.

Related to Double Major in EE/CE=smart choice?

1. Is a double major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering a smart choice?

Yes, a double major in Electrical Engineering (EE) and Computer Engineering (CE) is a smart choice for students who are interested in both fields and want to gain a diverse set of skills and knowledge. Both EE and CE have a lot of overlap and complement each other, making a double major a valuable asset in the job market.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in EE and CE?

Pursuing a double major in EE and CE allows students to gain a deeper understanding of both fields and the ability to apply concepts from one field to the other. It also opens up a wider range of job opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, robotics, and software development.

3. Is a double major in EE and CE more challenging?

Yes, pursuing a double major in EE and CE can be more challenging than a single major as it requires taking a larger course load and balancing coursework from two different fields. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is a feasible option for students who are passionate about both fields.

4. Can I complete a double major in EE and CE in four years?

It is possible to complete a double major in EE and CE in four years, but it may require careful planning and taking summer courses. It is recommended to consult with an academic advisor to create a feasible plan and ensure timely completion of both majors.

5. Will a double major in EE and CE provide me with a competitive advantage in the job market?

Yes, a double major in EE and CE can provide a competitive advantage in the job market as it showcases a diverse skill set and a strong foundation in both fields. Employers value candidates with a broad range of knowledge and abilities, making a double major a valuable asset in today's competitive job market.