Double integrals and center of mass

In summary, finding the center of mass of a two-dimensional object of constant density can be done using single or double integrals. For single integrals, the moments about the x and y axes are given by (1)M_{x}=p\int_{a}^{b}\left(\frac{f(x)+g(x)}{2}\right)[f(x)-g(x)]dx and (2)M_{y}=p\int_{a}^{b}x[f(x)-g(x)]dx, where p is the planar lamina of uniform density. The center of mass (x,y) is then given by (3)x=\frac{M_y}{m} and (4)y=\frac{M_x
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Finding the center of mass of a two dimensional object of constant density is a question that frequently occurs on my Mu Alpha Theta tests. I know of a long way to find it which I'll show in a moment using single integrals. I'm wondering if using double integrals can shorten this considerably.

Let f(x) be greater than or equal to g(x) on the domain [a,b]. The moments about the x and y axes are:

(1)[tex]M_{x}=p\int_{a}^{b}\left(\frac{f(x)+g(x)}{2}\right)[f(x)-g(x)]dx[/tex]

(2)[tex]M_{y}=p\int_{a}^{b}x[f(x)-g(x)]dx[/tex]

, where p is the planar lamina of uniform density.

The center of mass (x,y) is given by:

(3)[tex]x=\frac{M_y}{m}[/tex]

(4)[tex]y=\frac{M_x}{m}[/tex]

where [tex]m=p\int_{a}^{b}f(x)-g(x)dx[/tex]

Does anyone know how to do this same process with double integrals?! This is just way too much memorizing for me, and I say memorizing because I don't understand the derivation of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that

[tex]<\vec x> = \frac {\int \vec x dS}{\int dS}[/tex]

is any quicker or easier.

My book says that for planar lamina of variable density, the following is true.

(1)[tex]M_{x}=\int_{R}\int yp(x,y)dA[/tex] and

(2)[tex]M_{y}=\int_{R}\int xp(x,y)dA[/tex]

So if the density is constant, than doesn't that make this more simple?

That's basically what I wrote.

As to whether it's easier you may be able to convince yourself one way or the other by actually trying a few example in a direct comparison. Try some circles, triangles and so on.

Well I'm asking how to do this using double integrals. If p(x,y) is a constant, what constant do I treat it by and how do I get my bounds for the double integral?

Here's a simple example:

Consider a triangle with vertices (0, 0), (a, 0), (a, b). The x component of the center of mass is

[tex]\bar x = \frac {\int_0^a x dx \int_0^{bx/a} dy}{\int_0^a dx\int_0^{bx/a}dy} = \frac {2}{3} a[/tex]

Similarly, you can evaluate

[tex]\frac {\int_0^a dx \int_0^{bx/a} ydy}{\int_0^a dx\int_0^{bx/a}dy} [/tex]

to arrive at [tex]\bar y = b/3[/tex].

Last edited:
Thank you for your post. I'm fairly new to double integrals and am having trouble seeing where the bounds came from, but I'll read of up on it and look at your example.

Here's an example that my Calc book used.

Find the center of mass of the lamina of uniform density p bounded by the graph of [tex]f(x)=4-x^2[/tex] and the x-axis.

This is the method that the authors used.

(1)[tex]m=p\int_{-2}^{2}4-x^2dx[/tex]

(2)[tex]m=\frac{32p}{3}[/tex]

(3)[tex]M_{x}=p\int_{-2}^{2}\frac{(4-x^2)^2}{2}dx[/tex]

(4)[tex]M_{x}=\frac{256p}{15}[/tex]

(5)[tex]y=\frac{M_{x}}{m}[/tex]

(6)[tex]y=\frac{8}{5}[/tex]

Because the center of mass lies on the axis of symmetry, x=0. Thus the center of mass is [tex](0,\frac{8}{5})[/tex]

Now, could you please explain this using double integrals?

By symmetry, the x value is zero (you can set up the integrals to verify).

For y:

[tex]\bar y = \frac {\int_{-2}^{2} dx \int_{0}^{4-x^2} y dy}{\int_{-2}^{2} dx \int_{0}^{4-x^2} dy} = \frac {8}{5}[/tex]

Related to Double integrals and center of mass

1. What is a double integral and how is it different from a single integral?

A double integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It is different from a single integral in that a single integral calculates the area under a curve in a one-dimensional space.

2. How is the center of mass related to double integrals?

The center of mass is a point that represents the balance of an object's mass. It is related to double integrals because it can be calculated using a double integral to find the weighted average of the object's mass distribution.

3. What is the process for setting up and solving a double integral?

The process for setting up and solving a double integral involves identifying the limits of integration for both the x and y axes, determining the integrand function, and then using integration techniques to solve the integral. Once the integral is solved, it will give the value of the volume under the surface.

4. Can double integrals be used for non-rectangular regions?

Yes, double integrals can be used for non-rectangular regions by using appropriate limits of integration and possibly changing the order of integration. This allows for the calculation of volumes under surfaces that are not simply rectangular.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals and center of mass?

Double integrals and center of mass have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, finding the center of gravity for objects, and analyzing the mass distribution of 3D objects. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to forces and motion.