Electric field/charge

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the electric field is a concept used to describe the force that a charged object exerts on another charged object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The strength of the electric field is determined by the amount of charge and the distance between the charged objects. Additionally, the direction of the electric field is from positive to negative charge. The electric field is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electricity and is used in various applications such as electronics and power generation.
Dx
An electron is held up against the force of gravity by attraction of a fixed proton some distance above it. How far above the electron is the proton?

I donno what to do here? I have nothing to add or i would show my work. Can anyone help me get started.

Thanks
Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the point where the gravitational force between the electron and ground is equal to the electrostatic force between the proton and electron.

Sure, I can help you get started. To find the distance between the electron and the proton, we can use the concept of electric field and Coulomb's Law.

First, let's define some variables:
- q1 = charge of the electron
- q2 = charge of the proton
- r = distance between the two charges
- k = Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2)

We know that the force of attraction between the electron and the proton is equal to the force of gravity pulling the electron down. Mathematically, we can express this as:

Fg = Fe

Where Fg is the force of gravity and Fe is the force of electric attraction.

Now, let's write the equations for these forces:

Fg = mg (mass of electron x acceleration due to gravity)
Fe = k(q1q2)/r^2 (Coulomb's Law)

Since Fg = Fe, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for r:

mg = k(q1q2)/r^2

r^2 = k(q1q2)/mg

r = √(k(q1q2)/mg)

Now, we know the values of q1, q2, m, and g. We just need to find the value of k, which is a constant. Plugging in the values and solving for r, we can find the distance between the electron and the proton.

I hope this helps you get started. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that represents the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Electric fields are created by charged particles and can exert forces on other charged particles placed within the field.

2. How is electric field strength measured?

Electric field strength is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge in the field by the charge of the test charge. The direction of the electric field is the same as the direction of the force experienced by the test charge.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric charge?

An electric charge is a physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. An electric field, on the other hand, is a physical quantity that represents the force experienced by a charged particle in the field. In other words, an electric charge creates an electric field, and an electric field can exert a force on an electric charge.

4. Can an electric field exist without an electric charge?

Yes, an electric field can exist without an electric charge. This can occur in a vacuum, where electric fields from charged particles can travel without the presence of any matter. Additionally, an electric field can also be created by changing magnetic fields, as described by Maxwell's equations.

5. How does distance affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge. This means that as the distance from the source charge increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.