Double-grounded circuit, find I across one of two resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchhoff's loop law to calculate the current in a circuit with a 2 ohm resistor. The concept of grounding and its effect on the circuit is also mentioned. The final solution is determined to be 3A and the importance of starting new threads for different problems is emphasized.
kamhogo

Homework Statement

What is the current in the 2 ohms resistor?
tmp_21127-20160403_000946-639066610.jpg

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's loop law

The Attempt at a Solution

Grounding does not affect how the circuit behaves, so I ignored the ground in and applied the loop law (clockwise from the negative terminal of the 9V battery ):

ΔV(loop) = 9V -(2 ohms)*I - 3V - (4 ohms)*I =0
6V = (6 ohms)*I
I = 1 A

Correct?

Likes Orodruin
Physics news on Phys.org
kamhogo said:
Grounding does not affect how the circuit behaves, so I ignored the ground in and applied the loop law

well i do not work with circuits much- but if you have grounded both terminals of a load -can you expect a current to flow in the lower 4 ohms resistance.
grounding a circuit defines the potential to be zero (definitely)
further i failed to understand -what you wish to convey through this expt.?

Incorrect. The system is grounded at two different points, indicating that those points must have the same potential.

Likes CWatters
^^...So you have the same simplification as in the last problem. After which...? :oldsmile:

So I can ignore the 4 ohms resistor in my calculations? Then the current through the 2 ohms resistor would be given by:

9V - (2 ohms)*I - 3V =0
6V / 2 ohms = I = 3A

Likes CWatters
drvrm said:
well i do not work with circuits much- but if you have grounded both terminals of a load -can you expect a current to flow in the lower 4 ohms resistance.
grounding a circuit defines the potential to be zero (definitely)
further i failed to understand -what you wish to convey through this expt.?
From what I understand now, the 4 ohms resistor might as well not be there...it's between 2 points of zero potential and so no current flows through it. Right?

Likes CWatters
kamhogo said:
From what I understand now, the 4 ohms resistor might as well not be there...it's between 2 points of zero potential and so no current flows through it. Right?
Right. You need a potential difference between its ends to provide a current.

In this respect, grounding the two points is like short-circuiting them.

Likes kamhogo
When connecting in Parallel you are doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage of one of the individual batteries. Use a jumper wire between the positives of both batteries and another jumper wire between the negatives of both batteries. Connect your positive and negative wires to the same battery to run to your application.

drvrm said:
When connecting in Parallel you are doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage of one of the individual batteries. Use a jumper wire between the positives of both batteries and another jumper wire between the negatives of both batteries. Connect your positive and negative wires to the same battery to run to your application.
This does not add any insight to the current problem at hand. Please stay on topic.

Likes SammyS
kamhogo said:
So I can ignore the 4 ohms resistor in my calculations? Then the current through the 2 ohms resistor would be given by:

9V - (2 ohms)*I - 3V =0
6V / 2 ohms = I = 3A

This is correct.

Likes kamhogo
drvrm said:
This is confusing...what's a jumper wire? Why connect the terminals?

kamhogo said:
This is confusing...what's a jumper wire? Why connect the terminals?
Ignore the reply of @drvrm !

Likes Tom.G and CWatters
drvrm said:

This is not relevant to this thread.

In addition it is wrong and potentially dangerous. In this thread the batteries are different voltages and batteries with different voltages should never be connected in parallel.

Likes Tom.G and SammyS
tmp_31440-20160403_224159-639066610.jpg
I'm getting better at this circuit analysis thing!

kamhogo said:
View attachment 98526 I'm getting better at this circuit analysis thing!
upload_2016-4-4_12-23-45.png

upload_2016-4-4_12-24-59.png

etc.That seems correct.

The image is hard to read. I had to zoom way in.

In the future it's best to start a new tread for a new problem.

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-4_12-24-47.png
    upload_2016-4-4_12-24-47.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 491
Likes kamhogo
SammyS said:
View attachment 98530

View attachment 98532
etc.That seems correct.

The image is hard to read. I had to zoom way in.

In the future it's best to start a new tread for a new problem.

And to use an app like DocScanHD to make the images more visible and less unpleasant to look at.

Related to Double-grounded circuit, find I across one of two resistors

1. What is a double-grounded circuit?

A double-grounded circuit is a type of electrical circuit where both ends of the circuit are connected to ground. This can provide a safety measure by reducing the risk of electric shock and can also help to stabilize the voltage in the circuit.

2. How do you find the current (I) across one of the two resistors in a double-grounded circuit?

To find the current across one of the two resistors in a double-grounded circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. You will need to know the voltage and resistance values for the specific resistor you are interested in.

3. What is the purpose of a double-grounded circuit?

The purpose of a double-grounded circuit is to provide a safety measure and to help stabilize the voltage in the circuit. By having both ends of the circuit connected to ground, there is a reduced risk of electric shock and the voltage is kept at a more consistent level.

4. Can a double-grounded circuit be used for all types of electrical circuits?

No, a double-grounded circuit is not suitable for all types of electrical circuits. It is typically used in simple circuits with only a few components, such as resistors, and is not recommended for more complex circuits with multiple components.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a double-grounded circuit?

One potential disadvantage of a double-grounded circuit is that it can increase the chances of ground loops, which can cause interference and noise in the circuit. Additionally, it may not be suitable for more complex circuits as mentioned before.