Double Dot Product: Solving 3D Vector Problem

In summary, the problem of double dot product (\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec a^* \cdot \vec c) is being discussed where \vec a is a vector over the complex field and \vec b, \vec c are real 3D vectors. The expected result is |a|^2(\vec b \cdot \vec c), but it is not clear if this is the exact result or just an approximation. There are two suggested approaches to calculate this result, but it is not clear which one is correct. Additionally, there may be a language issue as there is no standard notation for a complex vector. However, in general, the result is not correct as shown by a counterexample.
Naake
Hi,
I have following problem of double dot product [tex](\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec a^* \cdot \vec c),[/tex] and I have expected rusult [tex]|a|^2(\vec b \cdot \vec c),[/tex] but I don't know if it is the exactly result (I am unable to find any appropriate identity or proove it), or it is just an approximation... where [tex]\vec a[/tex] is complex and [tex]\vec b, \vec c[/tex] are real 3D vectors. Maybe can help, that all vectors lie in the plane. So is it true that
[tex](\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec a^* \cdot \vec c) =? |a|^2(\vec b \cdot \vec c)?[/tex]
Thanks,
Michal

Physics news on Phys.org
Approach 1 : write down ##(\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec a^* \cdot \vec c) = (a_1 b_1 + ...)(a_1^\ast c_1 + ...)## and go through the calculation.

Approach 2 : Each dot product is a scalar e.g. ##(\vec a \cdot \vec b) = \beta##. You know that ##\beta(\vec a^* \cdot \vec c)=(\beta\vec a^*) \cdot \vec c##, ...

Likes Meesh
There may be a language problem here. I do not understand your "but I don't know if it is the exactly result (I am unable to find any appropriate identity or prove it), or it is just an approximation... where [itex]\vec a[/itex] is complex and [itex]\vec b[/itex], [itex]\vec c[/itex] are real 3D vectors."
There is no standard notation in which "[itex]\vec{a}[/itex]" would be used to denote a complex number. Did you mean that [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] might be a vector over the complex field? In either case, the "dot product" is only defined for vectors in the same vector space. If any of the vectors were in a vector space over the complex numbers then then they would all have to be- possibly with the complex part of their components equal to 0.

I can't imagine why you would think this was "just an approximation".

Likes matteo137
In general your result is wrong. Example b=c, b perpendicular to a. a.b=0, a.c=0, but |a|2b.c not 0.

Related to Double Dot Product: Solving 3D Vector Problem

1. What is a double dot product?

A double dot product is a mathematical operation used to calculate the angle between two vectors in three-dimensional space. It involves multiplying the components of two vectors and then summing the results.

2. How is a double dot product different from a regular dot product?

A regular dot product involves multiplying the components of two vectors and then taking the sum. A double dot product, on the other hand, involves multiplying each component of one vector with the corresponding component of the other vector and then taking the sum of these products. In other words, a double dot product takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vectors, while a regular dot product only considers the magnitude.

3. When is a double dot product used?

A double dot product is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force on an object. It is also used to determine the angle between two vectors, which is important in many applications such as robotics, 3D graphics, and computer vision.

4. How do you calculate a double dot product?

To calculate a double dot product, you first multiply the x-component of one vector with the x-component of the other vector, then the y-component with the y-component, and finally the z-component with the z-component. You then add these three products together to get the double dot product. The formula can be written as: A ·· B = Ax*Bx + Ay*By + Az*Bz

5. What is the significance of the result in a double dot product?

The result of a double dot product is a scalar value, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. The magnitude of the result represents the cosine of the angle between the two vectors. A result of 1 indicates that the two vectors are parallel, 0 indicates they are perpendicular, and -1 indicates they are anti-parallel. Any other value between -1 and 1 represents the angle between the vectors.