Double delta function potential: two bound states vs one ?

In summary, in the double delta function potential well, the number of bound states is dependent on the magnitude of α. If α is large enough, there can be two bound states, while a smaller α results in only one bound state. This is due to the fact that in a double well potential, the ground state is always even and the first excited state is always odd. As the distance between the wells decreases, the odd combination of wave functions becomes more and more rapid, resulting in a greater kinetic energy and ultimately leading to only one bound state. This means that in this scenario, only one electron can be placed in a well, with the other well remaining empty.
Aziza
In the double delta function potential well, where one delta function ( -αδ(x) ) is at -a and one at +a, if the energy is less than zero, there can be either one or two bound states, depending on the magnitude of α...if α is large enough, there can be two bound states, but if α is small, there is only one bound state.

My question is, is there any physical intuition explaining why this is the case? Before solving this problem, I thought that since there are two delta wells, there will be two bound states, but this is not always the case.

For example, if I have two electrons, and my α is large enough to admit two bound states, I assume that I can place each electron into a well.
If however, α is small such that there can be only one bound state, then does this mean that I can only put one electron into a well, and the other well must be empty?

I appreciate any insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the single state overlaps both wells. They are both full.

In any even potential in one dimension, each energy eigenfunction is either even or odd. The ground state is always even, and the first excited state is always odd.

If the two delta's are far apart, then (to a good approximation) the ground state is just the even combination of the two single-well bound states, and the first excited state is the odd combination.

As we bring the delta's closer together, the odd combination has to switch more and more quickly from positive to negative between the two wells. This results in greater kinetic energy (from the large derivative of the wave function between the wells), which eventually becomes big enough to make the total energy positive. At that point, only the even combination (which does not have to change sign between the wells) continues to exist as a negative-energy bound state.

Related to Double delta function potential: two bound states vs one ?

1. What is a double delta function potential?

A double delta function potential is a type of potential energy function that is commonly used in quantum mechanics to model the behavior of particles in a given system. It consists of two delta functions, which are mathematical representations of point-like particles with infinite potential energy.

2. How does a double delta function potential affect the behavior of particles?

The presence of a double delta function potential can result in the formation of bound states, where particles are confined to a specific region in space due to the potential energy barrier. This can lead to unique quantum mechanical phenomena such as tunneling and quantization of energy levels.

3. What is the difference between two bound states and one bound state in a double delta function potential?

In a double delta function potential, two bound states refer to the presence of two distinct energy levels in which particles can be trapped. One bound state refers to the presence of only one energy level. The number of bound states is determined by the strength and location of the potential barriers.

4. How are the bound states in a double delta function potential related to the potential strength and location?

The number of bound states in a double delta function potential is directly related to the strength and location of the potential barriers. A stronger potential barrier or a closer distance between the two barriers will result in a higher number of bound states, while a weaker potential or a larger distance between the barriers will result in fewer bound states.

5. Can a double delta function potential have more than two bound states?

Yes, a double delta function potential can have an infinite number of bound states, depending on the strength and location of the potential barriers. As the potential strength increases, the number of bound states also increases, approaching an infinite number for an infinitely strong potential.