Double Curl Identity: Vector or Scalar?

In summary, the conversation discusses the well-known vector identity of rot(rot(E)) = grad(div(E)) - div(grad(E)) and the confusion surrounding the notation of the vector Laplacian. It is clarified that the vector Laplacian is applied component-wise to a vector, and there is no separate definition for the scalar and vector Laplacians. The conversation also touches on the use of the term "vector Laplacian" and its correct application.
ShamelessGit
This isn't a homework problem, but it won't let me post on the other page.

A well known vector identity is that rot(rot(E)) = grad(div(E)) - div(grad(E)).
I've actually used this before without encountering any problems, so I don't know if I'm just having a brain fart or something, but shouldn't grad(div(E)) be equal to a vector and div(grad(E)) be equal to a scalar? How can you add or subtract them? It doesn't make any sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
ShamelessGit said:

I've actually used this before without encountering any problems, so I don't know if I'm just having a brain fart or something, but shouldn't grad(div(E)) be equal to a vector and div(grad(E)) be equal to a scalar? How can you add or subtract them? It doesn't make any sense.

Hi ShamelessGit! :smile:

In that identity E is a vector and grad(E) is a component wise gradient yielding a matrix.
The divergence is taken of the gradient of each of the components of E.

ShamelessGit said:

Isn't it ∇ × ∇ × E = ∇ (∇ · E) - ∇ ^2 E, where ∇ ^2 is the vector Laplacian (as in, ∇ ^2 E instead of ∇ · (∇ E) or the scalar Laplacian)? That way they are both vectors. At least that's what I've been told.

Last edited:
DeIdeal said:
Isn't it ∇ × ∇ × E = ∇ (∇ · E) - ∇ ^2 E, where ∇ ^2 is the vector Laplacian (as in, ∇ ^2 E instead of ∇ · (∇ E) or the scalar Laplacian)? That way they are both vectors. At least that's what I've been told.

The Laplacian is defined as the divergence of the gradient.
It's just a shorthand notation.

I like Serena said:
The Laplacian is defined as the divergence of the gradient.
It's just a shorthand notation.

(I'm sure you're correct, don't get me wrong. I just want to understand this myself. I don't actually know that much about the maths behind this, I've only had to use nablas in physics and haven't even encountered partial derivatives in actual mathematics classes yet.)

Yeah, I know that using ∇ is just a shorter notation, but isn't ∇ ^2 A for a vector field A defined as the vector Laplacian

[itex]\nabla^2 \overline{A} = \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 x}\hat{i} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 y}\hat{j} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 z}\hat{k} [/itex]

and ∇ ^2 A for a scalar field A separately defined as the scalar Laplacian

[itex]\nabla^2 {A} = \nabla \cdot (\nabla A) = \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 z} [/itex]

Or have I just understood something wrong?

Last edited:
Yes, I'm afraid you've misunderstood.

[tex]\Delta \mathbf{A} = \nabla^2 \mathbf{A} = (\frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 z})\hat{i} + (\frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 z})\hat{j} + (\frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 z})\hat{k} [/tex]

The vector laplacian is the same as the scalar laplacian, but it is applied component-wise on the vector.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Yes, I'm afraid you've misunderstood.

[tex]\nabla^2 \overline{A} = (\frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{x}}{\partial^2 z})\hat{i} + (\frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{y}}{\partial^2 z})\hat{j} + (\frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 x} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 y} + \frac{\partial^2 A_{z}}{\partial^2 z})\hat{k} [/tex]

The vector laplacian is the same as the scalar laplacian, but it is applied component wise on the vector.

Ok, thanks a lot for the clarification! :smile:

IIRC my lecturer actually used the word 'vector Laplacian' (not in English, but still), when deriving the wave equation for electromagnetic waves. I might just remember wrong, though, or it might've been a careless mistake by him. Now I know better, so thanks!

I like Serena said:
The word 'vector Laplacian' is not wrong.
It just means that the Laplacian is applied component-wise to a vector.

Yeah, that's what I figured from your previous post.

I like Serena said:
Did your lecturer use the vector Laplacian as you defined it in your previous post?

I thought he did, in the very same "curl of the curl"-sense, when taking the curl of Maxwell's third and fourth equations. But I tried to search our lecture notes for the word and couldn't find it, so now I'm starting to think I just remember wrong or something. Nevertheless, sorry for the trouble I caused (apologies to OP as well!) & thanks for explaining this to me.

Related to Double Curl Identity: Vector or Scalar?

1. What is the double curl identity?

The double curl identity is a mathematical identity that relates the second derivatives of a vector field to its curl and divergence. It is also known as the Laplace identity or the vector triple product identity.

2. Is the double curl identity a vector or a scalar?

The double curl identity is a vector identity, as it relates vector quantities such as curl and divergence.

3. What is the significance of the double curl identity in physics?

The double curl identity is significant in physics because it is a fundamental equation in the study of vector fields. It is used to simplify and solve equations in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and other areas of physics.

4. How is the double curl identity derived?

The double curl identity can be derived using vector calculus and the definition of curl and divergence. It involves taking the second derivative of a vector field and rearranging terms to show the relationship between curl, divergence, and the second derivatives.

5. Can the double curl identity be applied to any vector field?

Yes, the double curl identity can be applied to any vector field, as long as the necessary conditions for the second derivatives to exist are met. It is a general identity that holds true for all types of vector fields.