Double check my expressions a+b squareroot c

• MHB
  • Thread starter ai93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking about. It seems like you know the rule $\frac{a+b}{c}=\frac{a}{c}+\frac{b}{c}$, so I don't see why you ask about multiplying the top numbers.
ai93
Can anyone double check my answers? I have to put the answer in this format \(\displaystyle a+b\sqrt{c}\)
a)\(\displaystyle (3-\sqrt{18})^{2}\)
Answer
\(\displaystyle (3-\sqrt{18}) \quad(3-\sqrt{18})\)
\(\displaystyle 9-3\sqrt{18}-3\sqrt{18}+18\)
\(\displaystyle 9-6\sqrt{18}+18\)
\(\displaystyle 27(-6)\quad(3\sqrt{2)}\)
=\(\displaystyle 27-18\sqrt{2}\)
\(\displaystyle \therefore a = 27 b = -18 c = \sqrt{2}\)
Wouldn't I have to put it in \(\displaystyle +b?\) I got -18

b) \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{4-\sqrt{7}}\)
Answer
\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{4-\sqrt{7}}\) x \(\displaystyle \frac{4+\sqrt{7}}{4+\sqrt{7}}\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{3(4+\sqrt{7)}}{(4-\sqrt{7)(4+\sqrt{7)}}}\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{12+3\sqrt{7}}{16+4\sqrt{7}-4\sqrt{7}-7}\)
So
\(\displaystyle \frac{12+3\sqrt{7}}{9}\) CF is 3 so divide by 3
=\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}+1\sqrt{7}\)
\(\displaystyle a=\frac{4}{3} b=1 c=\sqrt{2}\)

c) \(\displaystyle \frac{4+\sqrt{5}}{3-\sqrt{5}}\)
Answer
\(\displaystyle \frac{4+\sqrt{5}}{3-\sqrt{5}}\) x \(\displaystyle \frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{3+\sqrt{5}}\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{(4+\sqrt{5)(3+\sqrt{5)}}}{(3-\sqrt{5)(3+\sqrt{5)}}}\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{12+4\sqrt{5}+3\sqrt{5}+5}{9+3\sqrt{5-3\sqrt{5}-5}}\)
=\(\displaystyle \frac{17}{4}+7\sqrt{5}\)
\(\displaystyle a=\frac{17}{4} b= 7 c=\sqrt{5}\)

Please correct me if i am wrong, and some of the questions I cannot display how I want, I hope you understand

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
no you wouldn't change it to +b. the simple form of the expression is a+b. instead of having both forms $a+b \sqrt{c}$ and $a-b \sqrt{c}$. they just have a+b which also implies $a+(-b) \sqrt{c}$ where b is negative which can be $a-b \sqrt{c}$ in the final form.

mathsheadache said:
a)\(\displaystyle (3-\sqrt{18})^{2}\)
Answer
\(\displaystyle (3-\sqrt{18}) (3-\sqrt{18})\)
\(\displaystyle 9-3\sqrt{18}-3\sqrt{18}+18\)
\(\displaystyle 9-6\sqrt{18}+18\)
\(\displaystyle 27(-6)(3\sqrt{2)}\)
=\(\displaystyle 27-18\sqrt{2}\)
\(\displaystyle \therefore a = 27 b = 18 c = \sqrt{2}\)
This is correct. (Edit: Not entirely correct because $b=-18$.) (Hint: Use [m]\ [/m] (backslash space) or [m]\quad[/m] in LaTeX to insert a space in math mode. Or, better, use several [m]\(\displaystyle [/m] tags.)

mathsheadache said:
Wouldn't I have to put it in \(\displaystyle +b?\) I got -18
You've got $+b$ where $b=-18$.

mathsheadache said:
b) \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{4-\sqrt{7}}\)
Answer
\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{4-\sqrt{7}}\) x \(\displaystyle \frac{4+\sqrt{7}}{4+\sqrt{7}}\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{3(4+\sqrt{7)}}{(4-\sqrt{7)(4+\sqrt{7)}}}\)
Close the curly brace after 7 in the denominator, like this: [m]\sqrt{7}[/m] instead of this: [m]\sqrt{7)[/m].

mathsheadache said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{12+3\sqrt{7}}{16+4\sqrt{7}-4\sqrt{7}-7}\)
So
\(\displaystyle \frac{12+3\sqrt{7}}{9}\) CF is 3 so divide by 3
=\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}+1\sqrt{7}\)
Why did you divide 12 by 9. but did not divide 3 by 9?

mathsheadache said:
c) \(\displaystyle \frac{4+\sqrt{5}}{3-\sqrt{5}}\)
Answer
\(\displaystyle \frac{4+\sqrt{5}}{3-\sqrt{5}}\) x \(\displaystyle \frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{3+\sqrt{5}}\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{(4+\sqrt{5)(3+\sqrt{5)}}}{(3-\sqrt{5)(3+\sqrt{5)}}}\)
Same remark about closing }.

mathsheadache said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{12+4\sqrt{5}+3\sqrt{5}+5}{9+3\sqrt{5-3\sqrt{5}-5}}\)
=\(\displaystyle \frac{17}{4}+7\sqrt{5}\)
Why did you divide 17 by 4, but did not divide 7 by 4?\)

Last edited:
Evgeny.Makarov said:
This is correct. (Hint: Use [m]\ [/m] (backslash space) or [m]\quad[/m] in LaTeX to insert a space in math mode. Or, better, use several [m]\(\displaystyle [/m] tags.)

You've got $+b$ where $b=-18$.

Close the curly brace after 7 in the denominator, like this: [m]\sqrt{7}[/m] instead of this: [m]\sqrt{7)[/m].

Why did you divide 12 by 9. but did not divide 3 by 9?

Same remark about closing }.

Why did you divide 17 by 4, but did not divide 7 by 4?\)
\(\displaystyle

Made the correction. a) is equal to \(\displaystyle a = 27 b = -18 c = \sqrt{2}\)

When I try and edit the curly brace \sqrt{7} instead of \sqrt{7) I get this text:\displaystyle \frac{3(4+\sqrt{7)}}{(4-\sqrt{7}(4+\sqrt{7)}}}

I don't quite understand. I divided 12 by 9 because in my step earlier I had \(\displaystyle \frac{12+3\sqrt{7}}{16+4\sqrt{7}-4\sqrt{7}-7}\)
\(\displaystyle +4\sqrt{7}-4\sqrt{7}\) Both cancel each other out, leaving 16-7=9
I thought you would have to show the answer like this \(\displaystyle \frac{12}{9}+3\sqrt{7}\) Use a CF to simplify which is 3 and got my answer \(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}+1\sqrt{7}\) ?

Same with what I thought with c) Cancel the like terms \(\displaystyle 3\sqrt{5}-3\sqrt{5}\) leaving \(\displaystyle 9-5=4\)

I thought you only divide the denominator only by the first part and not necessary to divide by the whole numerator?\)

mathsheadache said:
Made the correction. a) is equal to \(\displaystyle a = 27 b = -18 c = \sqrt{2}\)
The value of $c$ is 2 since the answer should be in the form $a+b\sqrt{c}$.

mathsheadache said:
When I try and edit the curly brace \sqrt{7} instead of \sqrt{7) I get this text:\displaystyle \frac{3(4+\sqrt{7)}}{(4-\sqrt{7}(4+\sqrt{7)}}}
You still have \sqrt{7) in two places. The correct expression should be [m]\displaystyle \frac{3(4+\sqrt{7})}{(4-\sqrt{7})(4+\sqrt{7})}[/m], which gives
\[
\frac{3(4+\sqrt{7})}{(4-\sqrt{7})(4+\sqrt{7})}.
\]

mathsheadache said:
I thought you only divide the denominator only by the first part and not necessary to divide by the whole numerator?
When you simplify $(12+3)\cdot9$, you multiply both terms inside parentheses by 9:
\[
(12+3)\cdot9=12\cdot9+3\cdot 9
\]
You don't multiply just 12:
\[
(12+3)\cdot9\ne12\cdot9+3
\]
The same happens with division:
\[
(12+3)\cdot\frac{1}{9}=12\cdot\frac{1}{9}+3\cdot\frac{1}{9}.
\]
And the same happens with your expression:
\[
(12+3\sqrt{7})\cdot\frac{1}{9}=12\cdot\frac{1}{9}+3\sqrt{7}\cdot\frac{1}{9}.
\]

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The value of $c$ is 2 since the answer should be in the form $a+b\sqrt{c}$.

You still have \sqrt{7) in two places. The correct expression should be [m]\displaystyle \frac{3(4+\sqrt{7})}{(4-\sqrt{7})(4+\sqrt{7})}[/m], which gives
\[
\frac{3(4+\sqrt{7})}{(4-\sqrt{7})(4+\sqrt{7})}.
\]

When you simplify $(12+3)\cdot9$, you multiply both terms inside parentheses by 9:
\[
(12+3)\cdot9=12\cdot9+3\cdot 9
\]
You don't multiply just 12:
\[
(12+3)\cdot9\ne12\cdot9+3
\]
The same happens with division:
\[
(12+3)\cdot\frac{1}{9}=12\cdot\frac{1}{9}+3\cdot\frac{1}{9}.
\]
And the same happens with your expression:
\[
(12+3\sqrt{7})\cdot\frac{1}{9}=12\cdot\frac{1}{9}+3\sqrt{7}\cdot\frac{1}{9}.
\]

I am slightly confused. So in regards to my questions, have I got them right so far until the simplifying part? So what I would have to do is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{9}\cdot\quad(12+3\sqrt{7})\) .. onto each individual part as you have explained. \(\displaystyle 12\cdot\frac{1}{9}\) equal to \(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}\)? How would you times \(\displaystyle 3\sqrt{7}\cdot\frac{1}{9}\)?

mathsheadache said:
So in regards to my questions, have I got them right so far until the simplifying part?
I believe so, though this depends on what you mean by the "simplifying part". It could be argued that the whole transformation you are doing is simplification.

mathsheadache said:
So what I would have to do is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{9}\cdot\quad(12+3\sqrt{7})\) .. onto each individual part as you have explained.
Yes.

mathsheadache said:
\(\displaystyle 12\cdot\frac{1}{9}\) equal to \(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}\)?
Yes.

mathsheadache said:
How would you times \(\displaystyle 3\sqrt{7}\cdot\frac{1}{9}\)?
Well, $3\cdot\sqrt{7}\cdot\frac{1}{9}=3\cdot\frac19\cdot\sqrt7$. I hope you can simplify $3\cdot\frac19$?

All in all,
\[
\frac{a+b}{c}=(a+b)\cdot\frac{1}{c}=a\cdot\frac{1}{c}+b\cdot\frac{1}{c}=\frac{a}{c}+\frac{b}{c}.
\]
Knowing this law is a prerequisite to trasformations you are trying to do.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I believe so, though this depends on what you mean by the "simplifying part". It could be argued that the whole transformation you are doing is simplification.

Yes.

Yes.

Well, $3\cdot\sqrt{7}\cdot\frac{1}{9}=3\cdot\frac19\cdot\sqrt7$. I hope you can simplify $3\cdot\frac19$?

All in all,
\[
\frac{a+b}{c}=(a+b)\cdot\frac{1}{c}=a\cdot\frac{1}{c}+b\cdot\frac{1}{c}=\frac{a}{c}+\frac{b}{c}.
\]
Knowing this law is a prerequisite to trasformations you are trying to do.

\(\displaystyle 3\cdot\frac{1}{9}\) equal to \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\)? My only doubts would be when you times say \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\) by a square root e.g \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\)

mathsheadache said:
My only doubts would be when you times say \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\) by a square root e.g \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\)
You can multiply both sides of an equation by the same number, e.g.:
\[
3\cdot\frac{1}{9}=\frac{1}{3}\implies
3\cdot\frac{1}{9}\cdot\sqrt{7}=\frac{1}{3}\cdot\sqrt{7}.
\]

Related to Double check my expressions a+b squareroot c

1. What does "a+b squareroot c" mean?

The expression "a+b squareroot c" means to take the square root of the sum of a and b, and then multiply it by c.

2. How do I double check my expressions using "a+b squareroot c"?

To double check your expressions using "a+b squareroot c", you can plug in the values of a, b, and c and then solve the expression. Then, you can compare your answer to the original expression to ensure they are the same.

3. Can I use "a+b squareroot c" for any values of a, b, and c?

Yes, you can use "a+b squareroot c" for any values of a, b, and c. However, keep in mind that the square root of a negative number is undefined, so make sure to only use real numbers for a, b, and c.

4. Is "a+b squareroot c" the same as "a squareroot b + c"?

No, "a+b squareroot c" and "a squareroot b + c" are not the same. The first expression means to take the square root of the sum of a and b, and then multiply it by c. The second expression means to take the square root of a, and then add it to c.

5. Can I use "a+b squareroot c" in other scientific equations?

Yes, you can use "a+b squareroot c" in other scientific equations as long as it makes sense in the context of the equation. It is important to follow the correct order of operations when using this expression in equations.