Double ball drop and conservation of momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two balls of different masses being dropped simultaneously and colliding with each other. The goal is to find the mass m that would result in stopping the larger ball when it collides with the smaller ball. The method of solving the problem is to equate momentum, taking into consideration the impulse approximation to make gravitational forces negligible during the collision. The conversation also mentions the importance of clarifying the scenario, as removing gravity from the equation would make the problem easier to solve.
stfz

Homework Statement

The classic double ball drop question: a ball of mass m is placed directly above another ball of mass M, and assume that m is not negligible. Both balls are dropped simultaneously. Find the mass m such that, upon the second collision (m with M), M has a final velocity of zero.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum
Elastic collision assumed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, probably my only question is how to justify applying conservation of momentum to the collision. My reasoning is that conservation of momentum shouldn't apply because there is an external force on the two-ball system (gravitation). However, from what I know of the 'impulse approximation', we can treat the background forces (i.e. gravity) as negligible given that the collision occurs across a very short period of time? We can then work with momentum conservation over an infinitesimal time interval? (i.e. the effects of gravitational acceleration on momentum of the system may then be ignored)
Is that the correct reason for why it may be applied? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You refer to a second collision being between the two balls. What is the first collision?

Also, if the final velocity of M is zero and it's in a gravitational field, it must be supported by something. What is supporting it?

Sorry about that. Here's the full question:
A small ball of mass m is aligned above a larger ball of mass M (with slight separation) and the two are dropped simultaneously from a height h. Assume the radius of each ball is negligible relative to h.
(a) If the larger ball rebounds elastically from the floor and then the small ball rebounds elastically from the larger ball, what value of m would result in stopping the larger ball when it collides with the small ball?

My questions were as above - in this non-closed system (force of gravitation), are we using the impulse approximation to make gravitational forces negligible relative to the collision forces? The method of solving this question (according to a Google) is to equate momentum. I'm personally inclined to doing that too, but I need to be able to justify it.

Thanks!

stfz said:
My questions were as above - in this non-closed system (force of gravitation), are we using the impulse approximation to make gravitational forces negligible relative to the collision forces? The method of solving this question (according to a Google) is to equate momentum. I'm personally inclined to doing that too, but I need to be able to justify it.
Yes, the collisions are presumed to take an unknown but very short time, so gravity can be ignored for their duration.

Likes stfz
A much clearer version of this problem would be one in which the balls are masses sliding collinearly on a frictionless surface and M then undergoes an elastic collision at right angles to a wall. That takes gravity out of the equation.

Likes stfz
Yes this makes sense. Thank you!

Related to Double ball drop and conservation of momentum

1. What is the double ball drop experiment?

The double ball drop experiment is a demonstration of the conservation of momentum in physics. It involves dropping two balls of different masses from the same height and observing how they interact with each other upon collision.

2. How does the double ball drop experiment demonstrate conservation of momentum?

According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the double ball drop experiment, when the two balls collide, the force exerted on each other is equal and opposite. This results in a transfer of momentum from one ball to the other, causing them to move in opposite directions.

3. Why is conservation of momentum important in physics?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in any physical interaction between objects, the total amount of momentum before the interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the interaction. It is important because it allows us to predict the outcome of physical interactions and understand the behavior of objects in motion.

4. How does the mass of the balls affect the outcome of the double ball drop experiment?

In the double ball drop experiment, the mass of the balls affects the outcome in two ways. First, the heavier ball will have a larger momentum than the lighter ball. Second, the heavier ball will exert a larger force on the lighter ball during the collision, resulting in a larger transfer of momentum. This can be observed in the different heights and distances the balls reach after the collision.

5. Can the double ball drop experiment be used to demonstrate other laws of physics?

Yes, the double ball drop experiment can also be used to demonstrate the law of conservation of energy. In this case, the total mechanical energy (potential and kinetic) of the system remains constant before and after the collision. It can also be used to demonstrate the laws of motion and the concept of acceleration due to gravity.