Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dot product

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Hello MHB,
I would like if someone could confirmed if I did understand correct.
In a ON-system we dont use \(\displaystyle u*v=|u||v|\cos\theta\) cause In a ON-system the \(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\) so \(\displaystyle \cos(\frac{\pi}{2})=0\)

Regards
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Hello MHB,
I would like if someone could confirmed if I did understand correct.
In a ON-system we dont use \(\displaystyle u*v=|u||v|\cos\theta\) cause In a ON-system the \(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\) so \(\displaystyle \cos(\frac{\pi}{2})=0\)

Regards
What do you mean by an ON-system?

If u and v are perpendicular to each other, their dot product is indeed zero.

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
What do you mean by an ON-system?

If u and v are perpendicular to each other, their dot product is indeed zero.
ON=Orthogonality
If I have understand correctly Orthogonality means that it's perpendicular.
Then we say that "Let \(\displaystyle B=(u_1,u_2,u_3)\) be a ON base in the room and we assume that \(\displaystyle u=(a_1,b_1,c_1)\) and \(\displaystyle v=(a_2,b_2,c_2)\) in this base ten (they all u and v is vector)
\(\displaystyle u*v=a_1a_2+b_1b_2+c_1c_2\)

Regards,

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
ON=Orthogonality
If I have understand correctly Orthogonality means that it's perpendicular.
Then we say that "Let \(\displaystyle B=(u_1,u_2,u_3)\) be a ON base in the room and we assume that \(\displaystyle u=(a_1,b_1,c_1)\) and \(\displaystyle v=(a_2,b_2,c_2)\) in this base ten (they all u and v is vector)
\(\displaystyle u*v=a_1a_2+b_1b_2+c_1c_2\)

Regards,
Yep. That's true.

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Yep. That's true.
Hello,
Have I also understand this correct. ON-Base means that all vector have the length 1?

Regards,

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Hello,
Have I also understand this correct. ON-Base means that all vector have the length 1?

Regards,
Yes.
ON would mean orthonormal.
Ortho means perpendicular.
Normal means length 1.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Just to add: If \(\displaystyle u=(a_1,b_1,c_1)\) and \(\displaystyle v=(a_2,b_2,c_2)\) in an orthonormal basis, then \(\displaystyle u\cdot v=a_1a_2+b_1b_2+c_1c_2\) is a corollary of the fact \(\displaystyle x\cdot y=|x||y|\cos\theta\) for any vectors $x$, $y$ with an angle $\theta$ between them. So it's not the case that we don't use \(\displaystyle x\cdot y=|x||y|\cos\theta\); it's just that in the case of orthonormal basis there is a special formula for the dot product.