Dot Product of Momentum and Radial Operators

In summary, the task is to find the momentum space function for the ground state of hydrogen with specific quantum numbers. Using the equations provided, after some plugging in and integration, the function is found to be a combination of spherical coordinates and the momentum vector. A hint suggests setting the polar axis along the momentum vector. However, this is simply a matter of choosing a coordinate system and does not affect the integration process.
gatztopher

Homework Statement

I need to find the momentum space function for the ground state of hydrogen (l=m=0, Z=n=1)

Homework Equations

[tex]
\phi(\vec{p}) = \frac{1}{(2\pi\hbar)^{3/2}}\int e^{-i(\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r})/\hbar}\psi(\vec{r})d^3\vec{r}
[/tex]

[tex]
\psi(\vec{r})=Y(\theta,\varphi)R(r)=(\sqrt{\frac{1}{4\pi}})(2(\frac{Z}{a_{0}})^{3/2}e^{-Zr/a_{0}})
[/tex]

[tex]
d^3r=r^2dr sin\theta d\theta d\varphi
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After doing some plugging in and integrating, I get
[tex]
\phi(\vec{p})=\frac{4}{\pi}(2a_{0}\hbar)^{-3/2} \int r^2e^{-i(\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r})/\hbar}e^{-r/a_{0}}d^3r
[/tex]

And my little roadblock is simply regarding the [tex]\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}[/tex]. I know that it's [tex]-i\hbar \nabla r[/tex] but I don't know how to calculate that, and as a result, I don't know how to carry out the integral.

One of the hints on the problem was, when using spherical coordinates, to set the polar axis along p. What might that mean?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gatztopher said:
And my little roadblock is simply regarding the [tex]\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}[/tex]. I know that it's [tex]-i\hbar \nabla r[/tex] but I don't know how to calculate that, and as a result, I don't know how to carry out the integral.

No, [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] are the position and momentum vectors, not operators, and the 'dot' is just an ordinary vector dot product.

One of the hints on the problem was, when using spherical coordinates, to set the polar axis along p. What might that mean?

The polar axis is usually the z-axis, so the hint is just telling you to choose your coordinate system so that [itex]\vec{p}=p\hat{z}[/itex]...which you are free to do, since the integration is over [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], which is independent from [itex]\vec{p}[/itex].

So, I understand that you mean this:
[tex]\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}=p\hat{z} \cdot r\hat{r}=|p||r|cos\theta[/tex]
But then, that leaves me with [tex]|p||r|cos\theta=|-i\hbar\nabla| |r|cos\theta[/tex] with [tex]\nabla=\hat{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}+\hat{\theta}\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}+\hat{\varphi}\frac{1}{rsin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\varphi}[/tex], and if I carried out that calculation I would have a bunch of unit vectors on my hands, which defies the rule that dot products have scalar results. Where's my mistake?

Last edited:
No, again [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] are vectors, not operators...[itex]\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}\neq-i\hbar\nabla r\cos\theta[/itex]...Just substitute [itex]\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r}= pr\cos\theta[/itex] into your integral and integrate...

Oh! Overthinking it... thank you!

Related to Dot Product of Momentum and Radial Operators

1. What is the dot product of momentum and radial operators?

The dot product of momentum and radial operators is a mathematical operation that combines the momentum and position of a particle in a quantum mechanical system. It is used to calculate the expectation value of a particle's momentum in a specific direction.

2. How is the dot product of momentum and radial operators calculated?

The dot product of momentum and radial operators is calculated by taking the product of the momentum operator and the radial operator, and then integrating it over all space. This results in a complex number, which represents the particle's momentum in a specific direction.

3. What is the significance of the dot product of momentum and radial operators in quantum mechanics?

The dot product of momentum and radial operators is significant in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the expectation values of a particle's momentum in a specific direction. This is important for understanding the behavior and properties of particles in quantum systems.

4. How does the dot product of momentum and radial operators relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The dot product of momentum and radial operators is used in the calculation of these quantities, and it is closely related to the uncertainty principle.

5. In what situations is the dot product of momentum and radial operators used?

The dot product of momentum and radial operators is used in many different situations in quantum mechanics. It is commonly used in the calculation of expectation values and uncertainty relations, as well as in the study of quantum systems such as atoms and molecules.