Dot Product confusion (no calculations involved)

In summary, taking the Dot Product of two vectors, A and B, results in the sum of AxBx + AyBy + AzBz. Adding these terms gives the magnitude of the vector. When one of the terms is negative, it can result in a negative magnitude, which is possible when the angle between the vectors is greater than 90 degrees. However, if you take the dot product of a vector with itself, the squared magnitude will always be positive. This clarifies any confusion about the concept.
LearninDaMath
If I take the Dot Product of two vectors, say A and B, I get: AxBx + AyBy + AzBz

And then when I add those terms, I get the magnitude, right?

So when one of those terms are negative, that means I could end up with a negative magnitude?

I thought magnitude had to be positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
You get the squared magnitude of a vector if you take the dot product of that vector with itself.
This is always positive (for a non-zero vector).

A dot product between 2 different vectors can be negative.
This indicates that the angle between the vectors is greater than 90 degrees.

I like Serena said:
You get the squared magnitude of a vector if you take the dot product of that vector with itself.
This is always positive (for a non-zero vector).

A dot product between 2 different vectors can be negative.
This indicates that the angle between the vectors is greater than 90 degrees.

Thanks I like Serena, this cleared up the confusion.

Cheers! :smile:

The dot product of two vectors, as you correctly stated, is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and then adding them together. This results in a scalar quantity, which is the magnitude of the projection of one vector onto the other. It is important to note that the dot product does not always result in a positive magnitude. In fact, it can be negative if the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. This means that the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions and the resulting magnitude is the difference of their lengths. However, the magnitude itself is always positive, regardless of the sign of the dot product. So while a negative dot product may seem confusing, it simply indicates the direction of the vectors in relation to each other.

Related to Dot Product confusion (no calculations involved)

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation between two vectors in a vector space. It calculates the scalar value of the projection of one vector onto another.

2. How is the dot product different from cross product?

The dot product is a scalar value, while the cross product is a vector. The dot product is also commutative, meaning the order of the vectors does not change the result, while the cross product is anti-commutative.

3. What is the significance of the dot product in physics?

The dot product is used in physics to calculate the work done by a force on an object. It is also used in calculating the angle between two vectors and determining if they are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other.

4. Can the dot product be negative?

Yes, the dot product can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative scalar value.

5. How do I calculate the dot product?

The dot product can be calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together. For example, if vector A = (a1, a2, a3) and vector B = (b1, b2, b3), then the dot product would be a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3.