Dot product between arrays: basis representation of an image

In summary, the conversation discusses representing a vector using an orthonormal basis and expressing it as a linear combination of the basis vectors. It also mentions how this applies to arrays, such as images, and how the dot product between matrices of the same size can give a single coefficient. The concept of dot product in the context of basis vectors and arrays is also discussed.
fisico30
Hello Forum,

When we represent a vector X using an orthonormal basis, we express X as a linear combination of the basis vectors:

x= a1 v1 + a2 v2 + a3 v3+ ...

Each coefficient a_i is the dot product between x and each basis vector v_i.

If the vector x is not a row (or column vector), but an array (like an image) the equation is still the same: the a_i are single numbers, while the basis vectors v_i become arrays. The array x becomes the weighted sum of multiple basis arrays.

But how does the dot product between two matrices, x and v1 for example, both of size NxN, give a single number, the coefficient a1? The dimension does not seem to allow this matrix product to output a 1x1 vector (the single coefficient), does it?

a1=<x^T, v1>= dot product between the transpose of x and array v1...

thanks
fisico30

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to define a dot product between vectors in a given basis you have to first define the dot product of the basis vectors.

How are you defining the "dot product" of the arrays you are using as basis vectors?

Well,
I am thinking of an image, say 10x10 in size as being equal to the weighted sum of 2D Fourier components:

G = a1 Phi1+ a2 Phi2+ a3 Phi3+...

where Phi_i are the two dimensional sinusoidal signals (basis functions of the Fourier transform): Phi_i= a_i *exp [i*(kx*x+ky*y)] of size 10x10.
The Fourier basis can be made orthonormal.

I would imaging a dot product between the image G and each Phi_i to produce the single number a_i...

fisico30

Related to Dot product between arrays: basis representation of an image

1. What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a single value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding entries of the two vectors and then adding the products together.

2. How is the dot product used in the basis representation of an image?

In the basis representation of an image, the dot product is used to calculate the similarity between the image and a specific basis vector. This allows us to decompose an image into its different basis components, which can then be used to reconstruct the image.

3. What is the significance of the dot product between arrays in image processing?

The dot product between arrays is significant in image processing because it allows us to manipulate and analyze images in a mathematical way. By using the dot product, we can perform operations such as image compression, filtering, and reconstruction.

4. Can the dot product be used for color images?

Yes, the dot product can be used for color images. However, since color images have multiple channels (such as red, green, and blue), the dot product would need to be performed separately for each channel.

5. Are there any limitations to using the dot product in image processing?

One limitation of using the dot product in image processing is that it assumes the image and basis vectors are linearly independent, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the dot product may not be effective for images with complex or irregular shapes.