DOS stands for Disk Operating System. Why is it named so?

In summary: Thanks.Disk Operating System (specifically) and disk operating system (generically), most often abbreviated as DOS,refers to an operating system software used in most computers that provides the abstraction and management of secondary storage devices and the information on them (e.g., file systems for organizing files of all sorts). Such software is referred to as a disk operating system when the storage devices it manages are made of rotating platters, such as floppy disks or hard disks.The Windows OS's also manage disks and software on them. The Windows OS's are in themselves software which need to be installed on disks. So, are the Windows also DOS's? If they are, then why does every Windows OS have a separate DOS
jackson6612
DOS stands for Disk Operating System. Why is it named so? Does the 'system' drive 'disk', or the 'system' is operated using some 'disk'? I know I have it right but it could help you to understand what I'm trying to ask. Please let me know. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
jackson6612 said:
DOS stands for Disk Operating System. Why is it named so? Does the 'system' drive 'disk', or the 'system' is operated using some 'disk'? I know I have it right but it could help you to understand what I'm trying to ask. Please let me know. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_Operating_System

jackson6612 said:

DOS was invented to replace TOS, or, tape operating system. The term was coined to allow advertisers to tout that their systems addressed disks, rather than tape, the advantage being that disks did not need rewinding between read or write action.

Disk Operating System (specifically) and disk operating system (generically), most often abbreviated as DOS,refers to an operating system software used in most computers that provides the abstraction and management of secondary storage devices and the information on them (e.g., file systems for organizing files of all sorts). Such software is referred to as a disk operating system when the storage devices it manages are made of rotating platters, such as floppy disks or hard disks.

The Windows OS's also manage disks and software on them. The Windows OS's are in themselves software which need to be installed on disks. So, are the Windows also DOS's? If they are, then why does every Windows OS have a separate DOS "Command Prompt"?

In the early days of microcomputers, computer memory space was often limited, so the disk operating system was an extension of the operating system. This component was only loaded if needed. Otherwise, disk access would be limited to low-level operations such as reading and writing disks at the sector-level.

Could you please the above text?

In some cases, the disk operating system component (or even the operating system) was known as DOS. [Wikipedia]

Hi

It would really nice of you if you could help me with the above queries. My queries are in blue. Thanks.

Besides being a generic term, "DOS" is also the name of Microsoft's PC-based operating system that was used until Windows 95 was introduced. The DOS command prompt refers to that operating system, and allows one to execute the commands that were part of Microsoft DOS.

jackson6612 said:
Disk Operating System (specifically) and disk operating system (generically), most often abbreviated as DOS,refers to an operating system software used in most computers that provides the abstraction and management of secondary storage devices and the information on them (e.g., file systems for organizing files of all sorts). Such software is referred to as a disk operating system when the storage devices it manages are made of rotating platters, such as floppy disks or hard disks.

The Windows OS's also manage disks and software on them. The Windows OS's are in themselves software which need to be installed on disks. So, are the Windows also DOS's? If they are, then why does every Windows OS have a separate DOS "Command Prompt"?

In the early days of microcomputers, computer memory space was often limited, so the disk operating system was an extension of the operating system. This component was only loaded if needed. Otherwise, disk access would be limited to low-level operations such as reading and writing disks at the sector-level.

In some cases, the disk operating system component (or even the operating system) was known as DOS. [Wikipedia]

Hi

It would really nice of you if you could help me with the above queries. My queries are in blue. Thanks.

Thanks, Red98.

Could you please also answer the other questions?

By the way, what does "abstraction" mean in this phrase "the abstraction and management of secondary storage devices"?

jackson6612 said:
Could you please also answer the other questions?
I'll answer what I can.
jackson6612 said:
So, are the Windows also DOS's?
It depends what you mean by "DOS". Yes, Windows is a disk operating system. No, Windows is not Microsoft DOS, the name given to the PC operating system that preceded Windows.
If they are, then why does every Windows OS have a separate DOS "Command Prompt"?
In that case, "DOS" refers specifically to Microsoft DOS, the PC operating system that preceded Windows. See my earlier Post #5.

"In the early days of microcomputers, computer memory space was often limited, so the disk operating system was an extension of the operating system. This component was only loaded if needed. Otherwise, disk access would be limited to low-level operations such as reading and writing disks at the sector-level."

Your question is not clear, I think your sentence is missing a key word or phrase. If you're asking for an explanation or elaboration of the above text, then I don't know.

By the way, what does "abstraction" mean in this phrase "the abstraction and management of secondary storage devices"?
I don't know.

Related to DOS stands for Disk Operating System. Why is it named so?

1. Why is it called "Disk Operating System"?

The term "Disk Operating System" refers to the fact that DOS was designed to manage and control the use of disk storage on a computer system. This includes tasks such as organizing, storing, retrieving, and managing data on disk drives.

2. Who developed DOS and when was it created?

DOS was developed by Microsoft Corporation in 1981. The first version, called MS-DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System), was created for IBM's personal computers.

3. What are the key features of DOS?

DOS was designed to be a simple and efficient operating system with a command-line interface. It has limited multitasking capabilities, meaning it can only run one program at a time. DOS also has a small memory footprint and can run on a wide range of hardware configurations.

4. Is DOS still used today?

While DOS is no longer the primary operating system used on modern computers, it is still used in some specialized applications, such as embedded systems and legacy computer systems. Some versions of DOS, such as FreeDOS, are also used for educational and recreational purposes.

5. What were some popular applications that ran on DOS?

DOS was the primary operating system used on personal computers in the 1980s and early 1990s, so there were many popular applications that were designed to run on it. Some examples include WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, and the original version of Windows. Many classic video games, such as Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, also ran on DOS.