Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on sun

In summary, the homework statement states that the radius of the Sun is 696*10^6m. The attempted solution states that the answer is 5.8*10^-12m.
Krashy

Homework Statement

Problem.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
delta lambda/lambda = velocity/speed of light

radius of the sun= 696 *10^6m

The Attempt at a Solution

DSC_0232.JPG

Hello,
the solution states the correct answer for this problem is 5.8*10^-12m. This is exactly 2x my answer but i don't really know what i did wrong. There is also a possibility that the solution is wrong because there are quite a few cases in which it is wrong so i can't be 100% sure.
So i hope someone can tell me where i messed up. Thanks for every answer.

Attachments

• Problem.png
    Problem.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 646
  • DSC_0232.JPG
    DSC_0232.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 662
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Krashy said:
radius of Earth = 696 *10^6m
You mean the radius of the Sun.

Krashy said:
This is exactly 2x my answer but i don't really know what i did wrong.
What is your ##\Delta \lambda## the wavelength difference between? Is this the wavelength difference you are interested in?

Oh yeah sorry i meant the radius of the sun. I am searching for the change in wavelength i think and so the shift between blue and red should be 2.9*10^-12m, right?

Krashy said:
I am searching for the change in wavelength i think and so the shift between blue and red should be 2.9*10^-12m, right?
No, think a bit about what you are computing the wavelength shift relative to. What is the original wavelength the wavelength of and what is the shifted wavelength the wavelength of?

I don't think i really get it. As the sides of the sun move away and towards the earth, the spectral line splits into two, right? So the "real" wavelength is 434nm and the shift towards either side should be +/- 2.9*10^-12m, because the doppler shifts are the same only in opposite directions, or is that wrong?

Krashy said:
As the sides of the sun move away and towards the earth, the spectral line splits into two, right? So the "real" wavelength is 434nm and the shift towards either side should be +/- 2.9*10^-12m, because the doppler shifts are the same only in opposite directions, or is that wrong?
No, that is correct. So what is the difference between the wavelengths at the edges in opposite directions? (Which is what the problem is asking for.)

Likes Krashy
All right i think i understand now. The change in wavelength from one side to the middle, so to the "real" wavelength is 2.9*10^-12m. Thus the shift from one side to the other side is 2x that value: 2 * 2.9*10^-12m = 5.8 *10^-12m. This should be correct now, right? Thank you very much for the clarification.

Yes, you are being asked to find the difference between the wavelengths at the edges, not that between the edge and the middle (which is what you computed). Since the speeds are low enough to use the approximation you applied, the difference is a factor of two larger than what you computed.

I see, next time i will pay more attention to this. Thanks again.

Related to Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on sun

1. What is the Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun?

The Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun refers to the change in frequency of the spectral line emitted by hydrogen atoms on the sun due to the relative motion between the sun and the observer.

2. Why is the Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun significant?

The Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun is significant because it provides valuable information about the motion of gases on the sun's surface, such as the rotation speed and velocity of solar storms.

3. How is the Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun measured?

The Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun can be measured using spectroscopy, which involves splitting the light emitted by the sun into its component wavelengths and measuring the shift in the hydrogen line's frequency.

4. What causes the Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun?

The Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun is caused by the motion of gases on the sun's surface, which can be towards or away from the observer. This motion affects the wavelength of the emitted light, resulting in a shift in frequency.

5. How does the Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun help us understand the sun's behavior?

By studying the Doppler shift of a hydrogen line on the sun, scientists can gain insights into the sun's internal processes, such as convection and magnetic fields. This information can help us better understand the behavior of the sun and how it impacts our planet.