Doppler shift, c, observation, recession, spacetime expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a Doppler shift and its relation to the expansion of space hypothesis. It is mentioned that the Doppler shift is the result of a change in wave frequency due to a change in distance of a signal source relative to the observer. The difference between increasing distance between the two and increasing space between them is also questioned. It is noted that while the Doppler shift is expected to occur based on the explanation given, the apparent cosmological redshift has given rise to the idea of the expansion of space. This concept takes into account time dilation and the constant velocity of light in all inertial frames of reference, and its contribution to the Doppler shift is independent of relative motions.
Bojan Keevill
Hi all,

It is my understanding that a Doppler shift is the result of a change in wave frequency due to a change in distance of a signal source, relative to the observer.
I assume that the change in distance must be continuous, in order to observe a Doppler effect:

frequency increase = decreasing distance / time
frequency decrease = increasing distance / time

Assuming this simple explanation is correct, and that the velocity of light is constant for all inertial frames of reference, then no Doppler shift should be observed. However, a Doppler shift (redshift) is apparent.

It is my understanding that the apparent cosmological redshift has given rise to the "expansion of space" hypothesis.

With this in mind I wish to ask what the difference is between:
- increasing distance between signal source and observer
and
- increasing space between signal source and observer

Thanks in advance,
B

Space news on Phys.org
It is my understanding that a Doppler shift is the result of a change in wave frequency due to a change in distance of a signal source, relative to the observer.
In special relativity, you have to consider time dilation as well - something like "change in distance in spacetime" (and not just in space).
I assume that the change in distance must be continuous
Motion is always continuous in special relativity.
frequency increase = decreasing distance / time
frequency decrease = increasing distance / time
Not necessarily.
Assuming this simple explanation is correct, and that the velocity of light is constant for all inertial frames of reference, then no Doppler shift should be observed.
Why?
However, a Doppler shift (redshift) is apparent.
The Doppler shift from the expansion of space comes from general relativity, and its contribution is independent of relative motions.
It is my understanding that the apparent cosmological redshift has given rise to the "expansion of space" hypothesis.
Indeed.
With this in mind I wish to ask what the difference is between:
- increasing distance between signal source and observer
and
- increasing space between signal source and observer
Two different words, both are ambiguous in general relativity.

Related to Doppler shift, c, observation, recession, spacetime expansion

1. What is the Doppler shift?

The Doppler shift is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave as a result of the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This phenomenon is commonly observed in sound waves, light waves, and other types of waves.

2. How does the speed of light (c) play a role in Doppler shift?

The speed of light (c) is a constant in the equation for Doppler shift, which is used to calculate the magnitude of the shift in frequency or wavelength. This constant is crucial in understanding the relative motion between the source and observer and how it affects the wave's properties.

3. Can Doppler shift be observed in all types of waves?

Yes, Doppler shift can be observed in all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and even water waves. Any wave that has a frequency or wavelength can experience a Doppler shift due to relative motion between the source and observer.

4. How does Doppler shift relate to the concept of recession?

In astronomy, recession refers to the apparent movement of galaxies away from each other. This is due to the expansion of spacetime, which causes a redshift in the light emitted from those galaxies. This redshift is a form of Doppler shift, and it is used to measure the rate of spacetime expansion.

5. What is spacetime expansion?

Spacetime expansion is the theoretical concept that describes the continuous increase in the distance between objects in the universe. This expansion is believed to have started with the Big Bang and is currently one of the fundamental principles of modern cosmology. Doppler shift plays a significant role in measuring the rate of this expansion.