Doppler effect of a satellite (extended)

In summary, the conversation involves a physics student struggling with a problem on the Doppler effect, specifically for a moving observer and source. The student tries to derive the equation for frequency when the angle between the observer and source is zero, but is unable to get the desired form. The mentor suggests considering the given assumption of v << c and using series approximation to simplify the equation. The student also discusses other approaches they have taken, such as considering the emission of photons and using geometry, but they have not been successful.
rohanlol7

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad/Downloads/PastPapers/BPhO_Paper3_2004_QP.pdf
question 3. Should i post a picture of it if its more appropriate ?
Note: I'm expected to do this in about an hour
upload_2016-8-18_13-29-3.png

[Mentor note: Image of the relevant portion of Q3 inserted]

Homework Equations

T=1/f
tan=cos/sin

The Attempt at a Solution

the first two parts are fine. Part (c) starts to screw with me
assume that at t=0 a wave has just hit the observer.
So at t=T a wave is emitted and a second wave hits the observer
at t=L/c*cos(theta) +T, a wave hits the observer again ( L is the horizontal distance from the observer to the satellite and T is the period and c is the speed of light )
at t=(L+/-vT)/(c*cos(theta+d(theta)) +2T another wave hit the observer.
So the period is T+/- vT/c*cos(theta)
this unfortunately does not lead to the required expression
I tried considering the problem as emission of photons but i just get the same result.
My guess is that relativity is what's missing in my approach. If that's the case what exactly should i know before i am able to do this problem? ( i have not studied the mathematical treatment of relativity and this i for preparation for a contest )
For the next part i have 2 approaches, first i consider the diagram given and derive and equation for cos(theta) in terms of t. this gives me cos(theta)= d-vt+h^2/(d-vt)
d is the distance at the moment where the satellite is in range.
This equation however only seems reliable when the satellite is passing over the head of the observer as this is the only point where the curvature of the Earth and path of the satellite can be ignored.
So I went on to derive a general equation for cos(theta), but this time is used the geometry of the circular path and the curvature of the Earth etc. this gave me a weird long equation of the form kcos^2(theta)= (a-(vt)^2+bvt)/(a+bvt) . Now this is a weird one. I'm not sure if I'm expected to really sketch this or is there another simpler approach that they are looking for here ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rohanlol7 said:
question 3. Should i post a picture of it if its more appropriate ?
It's always better to have the question statement visible in the post. Some helpers are not keen to follow off-site links to see if the question is of interest, or to download potentially large PDF's wherein the question is buried.

Look up the Doppler effect. Your course text should show a derivation (if not there are plenty of online sources).

gneill said:
It's always better to have the question statement visible in the post. Some helpers are not keen to follow off-site links to see if the question is of interest, or to download potentially large PDF's wherein the question is buried.

Look up the Doppler effect. Your course text should show a derivation (if not there are plenty of online sources).
Ok I'll try to make it visible.
When I couldn't do it, I went to try and derive the equation for frequency when theta is zero. My result was correct , I still can't get it

rohanlol7 said:
When I couldn't do it, I went to try and derive the equation for frequency when theta is zero. My result was correct , I still can't get it
Can you show your work? What distinguishes the zero-angle case form the general case?

gneill said:
Can you show your work? What distinguishes the zero-angle case form the general case?
Okay so the zero angle case is just when the observer and source are on the same line.
suppose at a time t=0 a wavefront just hits the observer. at time t=T (period) a second wave is emitted and the observer has moved a distance vT and the distance from the observer to source is d-vT. this second wave takes (d-vT)/c to reach the observer and so at t=T+(d-vT)/c the second wave is recieved. the thrid wave is received at t=T+(d-2vT)/c etc. so the time between waves = T-vT/c and frequency is the reciprocal of that and this result is fine i think

rohanlol7 said:
Okay so the zero angle case is just when the observer and source are on the same line.
suppose at a time t=0 a wavefront just hits the observer. at time t=T (period) a second wave is emitted and the observer has moved a distance vT and the distance from the observer to source is d-vT. this second wave takes (d-vT)/c to reach the observer and so at t=T+(d-vT)/c the second wave is recieved. the thrid wave is received at t=T+(d-2vT)/c etc. so the time between waves = T-vT/c and frequency is the reciprocal of that and this result is fine i think
It's a little more complicated than that. Letting ##T_o## be the original period of the source and ##T## the received period, then you have found:

##T = T_o - \frac{v T_o}{c} = (1 - \frac{v}{c}) T_o = \left( \frac{c - v}{c} \right) T_o##

If you take the reciprocal to find the new frequency then you get:

##f = \left( \frac{c}{c - v} \right) f_o##

This doesn't look like your desired form of ##f = f_o - f_o \frac{v}{c}## . To get there you'll have to consider the given assumption: Assume v << c where c is the speed of light. Usually this sort of hint implies that some term or terms will become negligible and can be ignored, especially if some form of series approximation is involved.

gneill said:
gneill said:
It's a little more complicated than that. Letting ##T_o## be the original period of the source and ##T## the received period, then you have found:

##T = T_o - \frac{v T_o}{c} = (1 - \frac{v}{c}) T_o = \left( \frac{c - v}{c} \right) T_o##

If you take the reciprocal to find the new frequency then you get:

##f = \left( \frac{c}{c - v} \right) f_o##

This doesn't look like your desired form of ##f = f_o - f_o \frac{v}{c}## . To get there you'll have to consider the given assumption: Assume v << c where c is the speed of light. Usually this sort of hint implies that some term or terms will become negligible and can be ignored, especially if some form of series approximation is involved.
ah binomial expansion I get it now thanks

Related to Doppler effect of a satellite (extended)

1. What is the Doppler effect of a satellite?

The Doppler effect of a satellite is a phenomenon that describes the change in frequency of a signal emitted by a satellite as observed by an observer on the ground due to the relative motion between the two.

2. How does the Doppler effect affect satellite communication?

The Doppler effect can cause a shift in the frequency of the satellite signal received by a ground station, which can affect the accuracy and quality of communication between the satellite and the ground station.

3. How is the Doppler effect of a satellite measured?

The Doppler effect of a satellite can be measured by analyzing the change in frequency of the satellite signal received by a ground station. This change in frequency is compared to the known frequency of the signal emitted by the satellite to determine the magnitude and direction of the Doppler shift.

4. How does the speed and altitude of a satellite affect the Doppler effect?

The speed and altitude of a satellite can significantly impact the magnitude and direction of the Doppler effect. A faster-moving satellite will have a larger Doppler shift, while a satellite at a higher altitude will have a smaller Doppler shift.

5. Can the Doppler effect of a satellite be used for other purposes besides communication?

Yes, the Doppler effect of a satellite is also used in other fields such as astronomy and remote sensing. In astronomy, it is used to study the motion of celestial objects, while in remote sensing, it is used to measure the velocity and position of objects on the Earth's surface.