Doppler Effect in Relativity: Mirror vs Lamp

In summary: The light has momentum? Hmhh, reminds me to previous thread about photon with mass.Yes, light has momentum.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I have a question again about Doppler effect in relativity.
Before I ask about mirror and lamp, I want to refresh the discussion again
as in my previous thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/doppler-for-light.823942/
The formula for Doppler factor for light is.
##f = \sqrt{\frac{1+v}{1-v}}f0##
Is this for the frequency of light or for the frequency of receiving?
Can anyone give me the answer, so I'll never misunderstood it again.
B moves toward A at 0.3c
Doppler factor is ##\sqrt{\frac{1.3}{0.7}}=1.36##
B shines a red light 400 THz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_spectrum
Will A see the light as somewhat violet, 742 THz?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the formula you wrote ##f## is the received frequency and ##f0## is the sending frequency if the receiver and sender are approaching ( moving towards each other ).

Yes, calculation looks OK. The light has been 'blue-shifted'.

No mirror is involved - the light is being emitted from the source and received without any reflection.

Last edited:
Mentz114 said:
In the formula you wrote ##f## is the received frequency and ##f0## is the sending frequency if the receiver and sender are approaching ( moving towards each other ).

Yes, calculation looks OK. The light has been 'blue-shifted'.

No mirror is involved - the light is being emitted from the source and received without any reflection.
Thanks Mentz114
Ok, now this.
Let ##k = \sqrt{\frac{1+V}{1-V}}##

A see the light blue-shifted, and re emitted the blue-shifted light to B.
Let's say this.
B sends an F frequency light to A. A see the light frequency as F*k.
Now A sends the light with ##F*k## frequency to B again.
B will see the light as ##F*k^2## is that right?
No wait,... if A moves, then every atom in A also dilated.
So actually A sends ##\frac{F*k}{\gamma}##
So B will see the light as ##\frac{F*k^2}{\gamma}##
No wait, ... the situation is similar. We should use the formula as it is, because A moves toward B and B moves toward A should use the same formula.
1. Is this right that B will see ##F*k^2## if A bounce the signal back to B as it is.
2. What if A bounces the signal not by lamp, but by mirror, what will B see?

Thanks for any help.

An ideal mirror will act like your re-emitter, and the light will be more and more blue shifted ... but the A and B relative speed will be decreasing as energy and momentum are transferred to the light at each reflection.

PAllen said:
An ideal mirror will act like your re-emitter, and the light will be more and more blue shifted.
Yes, that makes sense.
PAllen said:
... but the A and B relative speed will be decreasing as energy and momentum are transferred to the light at each reflection.
Light has momentum? Hmhh, reminds me to previous thread about photon with mass.
Okay, confirmation: So it's F*k, F*k2, F*k3, etc...? Please confirm.
I already have all the answers that I need.
But one last question, out of curiousity.
What if the mirror getting closer? The frequency increases, right. Can it go beyond gamma ray frequency?
What if the mirror getting closer and closer, the frequency increases and the wavelength decreases. Can it go below Planck length?

Each k in your series is smaller each time due to decreasing relative velocity. If you look at this in a COM frame, you would (in an idealized case) see all of the body's momentum transferred to the bouncing light at some point, then the bodies would reverse direction, propelled by the bouncing light, asymptotically approaching their relative speed before the light was emitted (because now, each bounce is more redshifted). Of course, this is all nonsense - no mirror is anywhere near that perfect. Also, of course, I do ignore quantum effects because by far the dominant issue is impossibility of 100% reflectance. [edit: this would 'work' better if each body emitted a pulse of light at the same time, and then they both bounced back and forth between the mirrors. Then the COM frame analysis becomes particularly simple.]

Last edited:
Likes Stephanus

Related to Doppler Effect in Relativity: Mirror vs Lamp

1. What is the Doppler Effect in Relativity?

The Doppler Effect in Relativity is a phenomenon in which the observed frequency of a wave, such as light or sound, changes depending on the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It is a consequence of the theory of Special Relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers.

2. How does the Doppler Effect differ between a mirror and a lamp?

The Doppler Effect is the same for both a mirror and a lamp, as it is dependent on the relative motion between the source and the observer. However, the observed frequency may be affected differently depending on the orientation and speed of the source in relation to the observer.

3. How does the Doppler Effect in Relativity relate to the theory of Special Relativity?

The Doppler Effect in Relativity is a consequence of the theory of Special Relativity, which explains how objects in motion appear to observers in different frames of reference. The Doppler Effect is a result of the time dilation and length contraction effects predicted by Special Relativity.

4. Can the Doppler Effect in Relativity be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler Effect in Relativity can be observed in everyday life. For example, the pitch of a siren on a moving ambulance appears to change as it approaches and then moves away from an observer. Similarly, the color of a star may appear to shift as it moves closer or further away from Earth.

5. How does the Doppler Effect in Relativity impact the study of cosmology?

The Doppler Effect in Relativity plays a crucial role in the study of cosmology, as it allows us to determine the motion and distance of celestial objects. By analyzing the redshift or blueshift of light from distant galaxies, scientists can determine their speed and direction of motion, providing valuable insights into the expansion of the universe.