Don't understand this simple vector space problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between linear operators S and T on a finite dimensional vector space V, assuming that the composition ST is invertible. The main point of confusion is whether null(S) is a subspace of null(ST). It is clarified that this is not always the case, but when ST is invertible, the null space of ST is zero and therefore null(S) is a subspace of it. The convention for composition is also mentioned as a potential source of confusion.
octol
Don't understand this reasoning with respect to linear operators.

Let S and T be linear operators on the finite dimensional vector space V. Then assuming the composition ST is invertible, we get
[tex]\text{null} \; S \subset \text{null} \; ST [/tex]

Why is that? I thought hard about it but I simply cannot follow. Is it not possible to have an element x of V that is in the nullspace of S but not in the nullspace of ST ? i.e. S maps x to 0 but T maps x to y where S don't map y to 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ST is invertible, then the null space of it is zero. I think you ought to re-examine your question.

It is certainly true that null(T) is a subspace of null(ST).

yes I understand that the null space of ST i zero, and that null(T) is a subspace of null(ST), but how can we say that null(S) is a subspace of null(ST) ? I must be doing some kind of faulty thinking :(

You can't say null(S) is a subspace of null(ST), in general. It isn't. Trivially. Howver, you asserted that ST was invertible, and at no point attempted to use this fact. Thus null(ST)=0, so you're asking 'is null(S) a subspace of the zero vector space'. Well, what is the only subspace of the zero space? I.e. is S injective?

it depends which convention on composition is being used. some people write ST for first S then T, but not me.

Related to Don't understand this simple vector space problem

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and a set of operations that can be performed on those vectors. It is used to represent and manipulate quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

2. What makes a problem a "simple" vector space problem?

A simple vector space problem typically involves basic operations on vectors, such as addition, scalar multiplication, or finding linear combinations. It does not involve more complex concepts like linear transformations or eigenvectors.

3. How can I approach a vector space problem if I don't understand it?

One approach is to break the problem down into smaller parts and focus on understanding each part individually. You can also try to visualize the problem using geometric representations of vectors. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can provide a different perspective and help clarify any confusion.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when solving vector space problems?

One common mistake is not paying attention to the dimensions of vectors and ensuring they are compatible for operations. Another mistake is not understanding the properties of vector operations, such as commutativity and distributivity. It is also easy to mix up the notations for row and column vectors, which can lead to errors in calculations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector space problems?

Practice is key in improving your understanding of vector space problems. Make sure to work through a variety of examples, both simple and more complex. It can also be helpful to review the underlying theory and definitions of vector spaces. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or practice problems can provide additional guidance and support.