Don't understand this problem (Permutations, I think)

In summary, Ray is trying to determine whether the product of the factors in his example is even or odd. He replaced each one of the 2011 integers with another integer and tried to match the arrangements with the factors with even and odd numbers. If the arrangement is matched with the factor with the same number, the product is that integer. If the arrangement is matched with the factor with a different number, the product is the sum of the integers in the arrangement and the integer that was substituted for the original integer.
cupcakes

Homework Statement

Please see attached image.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the problem at all. Can someone explain to me what the problem is stating, more precisely what an arrangement is? An example would be nice. Thanks.

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
The note at the bottom explains exactly way is meant by an arrangement. What part of the explanation is unclear to you?

RGV

So let's say instead of 2 to 2012 its from 7 to 12. would one possible arrangement be {10,12,9,7,8,11} → 101297811 ? if that's so I'm guessing there are much more possible arrangements of 2 to 2012 than 2012. Yet the product only has up to a2012. So is this some sort of probability question? Thanks.

cupcakes said:
So let's say instead of 2 to 2012 its from 7 to 12. would one possible arrangement be {10,12,9,7,8,11} → 101297811 ? if that's so I'm guessing there are much more possible arrangements of 2 to 2012 than 2012. Yet the product only has up to a2012. So is this some sort of probability question? Thanks.

Of course there are tons of different arrangements. Now go back and read what you are asked in parts (a), (b) and (c). These talk about "every" arrangement in (a) and (b), and "some arrangements" in (c).

Where do you see anything about "probability"? The question never said anything about randomness, or chance, or whatever.

RGV

cupcakes said:

Homework Statement

Please see attached image.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the problem at all. Can someone explain to me what the problem is stating, more precisely what an arrangement is? An example would be nice. Thanks.

This is not a problem in permutations. There are 1006 even numbers between 2 and 2012, and there are 1005 odd numbers between 3 and 2011. You are trying to determine whether the product of the factors in your example is even or odd when you substitute each one of the 2011 even and odd integers into the 2011 available variable slots in your product expression. If you pair the 1006 even integers with the 1006 even integers already present in the factors, and you pair the 1005 odd integers with the 1005 odd integers already present in the factors, you, of course end up with an even product. See what happens when you try to pair the 1005 odd integers with 1005 of the 1006 even integers already present in the factors.

Chestermiller said:
This is not a problem in permutations. There are 1006 even numbers between 2 and 2012, and there are 1005 odd numbers between 3 and 2011. You are trying to determine whether the product of the factors in your example is even or odd when you substitute each one of the 2011 even and odd integers into the 2011 available variable slots in your product expression. If you pair the 1006 even integers with the 1006 even integers already present in the factors, and you pair the 1005 odd integers with the 1005 odd integers already present in the factors, you, of course end up with an even product. See what happens when you try to pair the 1005 odd integers with 1005 of the 1006 even integers already present in the factors.

From what Ray said, I gathered that we substitute arrangements of the 2011 numbers. However, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that we substitute the integers themselves. I'm confused...

Edit

An attempt at the problem:

ODD + ODD = EVEN
ODD + EVEN = ODD
EVEN + EVEN = EVEN
--------------------------
ODD*ODD = ODD
ODD*EVEN = EVEN
EVEN*EVEN = EVEN

So the only way the product will be odd is if each factor is odd. So if the odd arrangements are matched with the factors with even numbers and the even arrangements with the factors with odd numbers, the product will be odd. So we've eliminated the possibility of (a) as an answer, right?

Now if we match the even arrangements with factors with even numbers and odd arrangements with factors with odd numbers, each factor will be even. Consequently, the product will be even.

So that would make the answer (c). Am I correct? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sigh! The problem is perfectly clear, but for some reason you are just not getting it. Let me do a smaller example, where I use numbers 2,3,4,5 instead of 2,3,4,...,2012. In the little example, if a2,a3,a4,a5 is an arrangement (= permutation of 2,3,4,5) the product is P = (2+a2)*(3+a3)*(4+a4)*(5+a5). For example, for arrangement 5,4,3,2 we get P = (2+5)*(3+4)*(4+3)*(5+2). For arrangement 4,2,5,3 we get P = (2+4)*(3+2)*(4+5)*(5+3), etc. So, for different arrangements (i.e., different permutations) we get different values of P. There are 24 different arrangements, so there could be as many as 24 corresponding values of P.

The same type of thing happens in the larger problem. Basically, you want to know if all values of P are even, or if all are odd, or if there are some that are even and some that are odd. However there are now about 0.7*10^(5772) arrangements, which is much, much larger than the total number of electrons in the whole universe, so you cannot answer the question by just listing all the values.

RGV

Last edited:
cupcakes said:
From what Ray said, I gathered that we substitute arrangements of the 2011 numbers. However, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that we substitute the integers themselves. I'm confused...

Edit

An attempt at the problem:

ODD + ODD = EVEN
ODD + EVEN = ODD
EVEN + EVEN = EVEN
ODD*ODD = ODD
ODD*EVEN = EVEN
EVEN*EVEN = EVEN

So the only way the product will be odd is if each factor is odd. So if the odd arrangements are matched with the factors with even numbers and the even arrangements with the factors with odd numbers, the product will be odd. So we've eliminated the possibility of (a) as an answer, right?

Now if we match the even arrangements with factors with even numbers and odd arrangements with factors with odd numbers, each factor will be even. Consequently, the product will be even.

So that would make the answer (c). Am I correct? Thanks.

You're on the right track. You almost solved it, but not quite. This is because there is one more even integer than odd integer (1006 vs 1005). So if you try to make the product odd, by matching all the odd numbers with the even integers in the factors, and the even arrangements with the factors with odd numbers, there will be one even integer and one even number in a factor left over. These will sum to an even number, so the product will have one even factor, and will be even. It is impossible to make the product odd.

Ray Vickson said:
Sigh! The problem is perfectly clear, but for some reason you are just not getting it. Let me do a smaller example, where I use numbers 2,3,4,5 instead of 2,3,4,...,2012. In the little example, if a2,a3,a4,a5 is an arrangement (= permutation of 2,3,4,5) the product is P = (2+a2)*(3+a3)*(4+a4)*(5+a5). For example, for arrangement 5,4,3,2 we get P = (2+5)*(3+4)*(4+3)*(5+2). For arrangement 4,2,5,3 we get P = (2+4)*(3+2)*(4+5)*(5+3), etc. So, for different arrangements (i.e., different permutations) we get different values of P. There are 6 different arrangements, so there could be as many as 6 corresponding values of P.
RGV

Thank you, I finally understand what it means. It may be easy for you but I've never learned permutations or anything like this. This problem is not course material, just something I came across.

Chestermiller said:
You're on the right track. You almost solved it, but not quite. This is because there is one more even integer than odd integer (1006 vs 1005). So if you try to make the product odd, by matching all the odd numbers with the even integers in the factors, and the even arrangements with the factors with odd numbers, there will be one even integer and one even number in a factor left over. These will sum to an even number, so the product will have one even factor, and will be even. It is impossible to make the product odd.

Alright that makes sense. Since we can prove that there will always be at least one even factor, the product will always be even. So the answer is (a). Thanks Chestermiller.

Last edited:

Related to Don't understand this problem (Permutations, I think)

1. What are permutations and why are they important in mathematics?

Permutations are arrangements of a set of objects in a specific order. They are important in mathematics because they allow us to count the number of possible outcomes in a given situation and solve problems involving arrangements or combinations of objects.

2. How do you calculate the number of permutations for a set of objects?

The number of permutations for a set of n objects is calculated using the formula n! (n factorial), which is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to n. For example, if n=4, the number of permutations would be 4x3x2x1=24.

3. Can you explain the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations involve arranging objects in a specific order, while combinations do not consider the order of the objects. In other words, permutations are ordered arrangements while combinations are unordered selections.

4. What is the difference between a permutation and a cycle?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects, while a cycle is a specific type of permutation where the objects are arranged in a circular pattern. Cycles are commonly used in group theory and can be seen as a way to represent symmetries.

5. How are permutations used in real-life applications?

Permutations are used in many real-life applications, such as in computer science for sorting algorithms, in genetics for analyzing DNA sequences, and in cryptography for creating secure passwords. They are also used in various fields of mathematics, including probability, statistics, and combinatorics.