Troubleshooting a Pentium 3 500mhz Boot Error - Expert Assistance Needed

• Thread starter viper-9
  • Start date
In summary, the person is having trouble booting their Pentium 3 500mhz computer and receives the message "PXE Error check cable" on the first screen. They have already changed the drive data cables but the problem remains. The conversation suggests checking the boot options in the BIOS, reseating power cables, and disabling PXE in the BIOS if not needed. The issue may be caused by a faulty network card or incorrect server/address settings for remote booting. The person expresses gratitude as their problem has been resolved.
viper-9
I have an pentium 3 500mhz, when bi turn it on i get the following message on the first screen : PXE Error check cable, i assume that it means the drive data cables, so i changed them all, still the same problem remains. can anyone help

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try checking your boot options in the BIOS to see what they are set for. Were you trying to boot from a network, or an internal drive?

My guess would be "pxe" is power supply. Try reaseating the power cables.

PXE stands for Network Preboot Execution Environment, which is a system in the network card that allows the computer to be booted remotely, I assume you are trying to remotely boot, and if you aren't I would try to remove the network card and try to boot without it and see if it works. Also, PXE is set up in the BIOS, so if you don't use it, make sure it is disabled in the bios, if you are using it, make sure you have the correct server and address to contact.

THANKS LYUOKDEA You cured my problem.:smile:

1. What is the most common cause of a boot error on a Pentium 3 500mhz?

The most common cause of a boot error on a Pentium 3 500mhz is a hardware malfunction, such as a faulty hard drive or RAM module.

2. How can I troubleshoot a boot error on a Pentium 3 500mhz?

To troubleshoot a boot error on a Pentium 3 500mhz, you can try reseating or replacing any faulty hardware components, running diagnostic tests, and checking for any software conflicts.

3. What diagnostic tests should I run to identify the cause of the boot error?

Some diagnostic tests that can help identify the cause of a boot error on a Pentium 3 500mhz include checking the hard drive for errors, running a memory test, and checking the system's BIOS settings.

4. Can a software issue cause a boot error on a Pentium 3 500mhz?

Yes, a software issue such as a corrupted operating system or incompatible drivers can also cause a boot error on a Pentium 3 500mhz. It is important to check for any recent software changes or updates that may have caused the issue.

5. Do I need expert assistance to resolve a boot error on a Pentium 3 500mhz?

In some cases, expert assistance may be necessary to resolve a boot error on a Pentium 3 500mhz, especially if the issue is related to hardware malfunctions. It is recommended to seek help from a professional if you are not familiar with troubleshooting computer issues.