Beginners to intermediate book on physics

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a beginner to intermediate book on physics that covers standard subjects such as motion, kinematics, and the study of waves. The person is a first year computer science student and wants a book to review their physics in English. Recommendations for books include the Feynman physics lectures and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway, which can be found on Amazon or at university libraries. However, one person mentions that their university library may not have it in order to prevent students from finding alternative ways to get their textbooks.
Xyax
Hi,

Can someone recommend me a beginners to intermediate book on physics,
the book or books should cover the standard subjects: motion, kinematics ,the study of waves(full spectrum, light, forces,...).

I'm doing my first year of computer science and always had physics in dutch, now that we have physics in english at university I wanted a book to review my physics in english. I've searched @ amazon but just found a lot of "applied" physics books and not many books that covered the (standard) above subjects.

Thanx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At first it should be clear what you understand by "standard". All classical physics is standard. I suppose that it is about mechanics, waves, and basis electromagnetism. You seem to specify books in english. In this case I would recommend the Feynman physics lectures.

I would also recommend taking a look at the Physics Napster post, it has lots of free resources, and two textbooks, that I know of.

The book i learned physics with is called "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway. It's available on amazon, but if you want to take a look, university libraries probably have it.

Hope this will help

Originally posted by pi-70679
It's available on amazon, but if you want to take a look, university libraries probably have it.
Probably not at the library, I think the library at my school anyway has a secret policy not to have any of the same books that the book store has so that you can't try to find a way to get out of actually buying the books!

1. What is the best book to start learning physics as a beginner?

The best book for beginners to intermediate level on physics is "Concepts of Physics" by HC Verma. It provides a comprehensive understanding of basic concepts and is written in a simple and easy-to-understand language.

2. Is there a specific math level required to understand physics?

A basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus is necessary to understand the concepts of physics. However, most beginner books on physics cover the necessary math topics, so no prior math level is required.

3. Can a beginner learn physics without a teacher or formal education?

Yes, it is possible for a beginner to learn physics without a teacher or formal education. There are many online resources, such as video lectures and interactive simulations, that can help beginners learn physics on their own.

4. What are the key topics that a beginner should focus on in a physics book?

The key topics that a beginner should focus on in a physics book include basic concepts such as motion, forces, energy, momentum, and thermodynamics. It is also important to understand the scientific method and the principles of measurement and experimentation.

5. How can one apply the concepts learned in a physics book to real-life situations?

Physics is the study of the natural world, and its concepts can be applied to various real-life situations. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help in predicting the trajectory of a moving object, and principles of thermodynamics can be applied to understand the behavior of heat and energy in everyday life.