Domain and Range of a function

In summary, the maximum allowable width, w, of the wall is 100 cm. The domain and rand of the function are the wall and 100 cm. The domain is all real numbers less than or equal to 50 cm and the rand is all real numbers.
EIGHTSIX7

Homework Statement

If the maximum allowable width, w, of the wall is 100 cm, what are the domain and rand of the function? Remember to include units for both the domain and range.

Homework Equations

w(d)=2d
w(d)=100, so
100=2d, there fore
d=100/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Domain: d (less than or equal to) 50cm
Range: all real numbers

Sorry, I'm a bit rusty on finding D and R. Thanks for the help, here is the original question via PDF, I got part (a). I am just unsure about my D and R ( I am a perfectionist)

ALSO: For part (a) I got : A(d)=((Pi)(d^2))/2, correct?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Attachments

• Docmath2.pdf
    320.6 KB · Views: 311
Physics news on Phys.org
For part a I got [itex]A(d)=d^{2}+\frac{\pi d^{2}}{4}=d^{2}(1+\frac{\pi}{4})[/itex]

I hope I'm understanding the problem correctly, [itex]d[/itex] is also the diameter of the semi-circle on either side, so [itex]r=\frac{d}{2}[/itex]. I think you are neglecting to add the area of the square inbetween those two semi-circles in your function for part a.

Edit: squaring mistake :/

Last edited:
Accretion said:
For part a I got [itex]A(d)=d^{2}+\frac{\pi d^{2}}{4}=d^{2}(1+\frac{\pi}{4})[/itex]

I hope I'm understanding the problem correctly, [itex]d[/itex] is also the diameter of the semi-circle on either side, so [itex]r=\frac{d}{2}[/itex]. I think you are neglecting to add the area of the square inbetween those two semi-circles in your function for part a.

Edit: squaring mistake :/

Area of cross section is (Area of Square=s^2)+(2 Semi-circles, which is equivalent to one circle, so Area=(Pi)(r^2))

Area of Square + Area of Circle = Area of Cross section

Since ,d, in diagram is also the sides of the square I have accounted for the area of a square.

So area of a circle in terms of Area of Circle(d)= ((Pi)((d/2)^2))
there fore,

Area of Cross section (d)= (d^2)+((Pi)((d/2)^2))
simplified: A(d)=((Pi)(d^2))/2

EIGHTSIX7 said:
Area of cross section is (Area of Square=s^2)+(2 Semi-circles, which is equivalent to one circle, so Area=(Pi)(r^2))

Area of Square + Area of Circle = Area of Cross section

Area of Cross section (d)= (d^2)+((Pi)((d/2)^2))
simplified: A(d)=((Pi)(d^2))/2

I'm not sure I follow your simplification to: [itex]A(d)=\frac{\pi d^{2}}{2}[/itex]

My Reasoning:
Area of square: [itex]d^{2}[/itex]
Area of circle: [itex]\pi r^{2}[/itex]
Radius of circle: [itex]r=\frac{d}{2}[/itex]
[itex]A(d)=d^{2}+\pi r^{2}[/itex]
[itex]A(d)=d^{2}+\pi(\frac{d}{2})^{2}[/itex]
[itex]A(d)=d^{2}+\frac{\pi d^{2}}{4}[/itex]
[itex]A(d)=d^{2}(1+\frac{\pi}{4})[/itex]

Accretion said:
I'm not sure I follow your simplification to: [itex]A(d)=\frac{\pi d^{2}}{2}[/itex]

My Reasoning:
Area of square: [itex]d^{2}[/itex]
Area of circle: [itex]\pi r^{2}[/itex]
Radius of circle: [itex]r=\frac{d}{2}[/itex]
[itex]A(d)=d^{2}+\pi r^{2}[/itex]
[itex]A(d)=d^{2}+\pi(\frac{d}{2})^{2}[/itex]

Which step are you doing from
to

EIGHTSIX7 said:
Which step are you doing from
to

I'm just factoring the [itex]d^{2}[/itex] out of [itex]d^{2}+\frac{\pi d^{2}}{4}[/itex]. Multiply [itex]d^{2}(1+\frac{\pi}{4})[/itex] out using the distributive property and you'll get back to [itex]d^{2}+\frac{\pi d^{2}}{4}[/itex].

Accretion said:
I'm just factoring the [itex]d^{2}[/itex] out of [itex]d^{2}+\frac{\pi d^{2}}{4}[/itex]. Multiply [itex]d^{2}(1+\frac{\pi}{4})[/itex] out using the distributive property and you'll get back to [itex]d^{2}+\frac{\pi d^{2}}{4}[/itex].

Wow, I'm embarrassed and you are great.
Thanks a lot.

Related to Domain and Range of a function

What is the definition of domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values or independent variables for which the function is defined. The range of a function is the set of all possible output values or dependent variables that the function can produce.

How do you find the domain and range of a given function?

To find the domain of a function, identify all the possible input values or values that the independent variable can take on without causing the function to be undefined. To find the range, determine all the possible output values or values that the dependent variable can produce by plugging in different input values.

Why is it important to understand domain and range in mathematics?

Understanding domain and range is important because they help us determine the validity and limitations of a function. They also help us analyze and interpret the behavior of a function and make predictions about its behavior.

Can a function have an infinite domain or range?

Yes, a function can have an infinite domain or range. For example, the function y = x² has an infinite domain (all real numbers) and an infinite range (all positive real numbers).

What is the difference between domain and codomain?

The domain is the set of all input values for a function, while the codomain is the set of all possible output values. The range is a subset of the codomain, consisting of the actual output values produced by the function.