Doing a Count in Access 2013 Query -- How to?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count
In summary, the conversation is about using a data table to perform a query on specific attributes. The person is trying to use the ## \Sigma ## function but it is not working. They are also asking for help on how to define a new column using the values of two other columns. After some discussion and trial and error, they figure out how to define the new variable using the formula: varname: [field_i,]*[field_j].
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have a data table and I am doing a query on some of the attributes.[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to use ## \Sigma ## in the menu bar, but that has not worked.

I know how to return all other query values, but not how to do a count.

Thanks.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you just trying to add the values of successive cells?
It would look like this: =SUM(A1:A10)

Thanks Borg, sorry, I was about to say I got it. My new question is how to define a new column that uses the values of two other columns.
I tried :

New Column : (Column i)*( Column j )

Do I need an = after the colon?

Answering my on question: to define a new variable 'varname' , (as a field ) as the product of other fields , we set, in any field entry of the query,

varname: [ field_i, ]* [ field_j ]

of course, one may define new "derived" fields using other arithmetic or logical operations, or maybe both.

Related to Doing a Count in Access 2013 Query -- How to?

1. How do I do a count in an Access 2013 query?

To do a count in an Access 2013 query, you will need to use the "Count" function in the query design. Simply select the field you want to count, then add the "Count" function in the "Total" row of the query design. This will give you the total count for that field in your query results.

2. Can I do a count with multiple criteria in an Access 2013 query?

Yes, you can do a count with multiple criteria in an Access 2013 query. To do this, you will need to use the "Count" function along with the "Where" clause in the query design. This will allow you to specify the criteria for the count, such as counting only certain records that meet a specific condition.

3. How can I display the count results in a separate column in my query?

To display the count results in a separate column in your query, you will need to add a new column in the query design and use the "Count" function in the "Total" row for that column. This will display the count results in the new column for each record in your query.

4. Can I do a count for a specific time period in an Access 2013 query?

Yes, you can do a count for a specific time period in an Access 2013 query. You can use the "Count" function along with the "Between" or ">= and <=" criteria in the "Where" clause of your query design to specify the time period for the count.

5. Is it possible to do a count for distinct values in an Access 2013 query?

Yes, it is possible to do a count for distinct values in an Access 2013 query. To do this, you will need to use the "Count" function along with the "Distinct" keyword in the "Total" row of your query design. This will give you the count for unique values in the specified field in your query results.