Doesnt qtm zeno effect contadict the idea that hup is there even when not observed?

In summary, the quantum Zeno effect can be thought of as not depending on human observation and can occur regardless of whether the measurement is performed by humans or a machine. This can be reconciled with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, as the Zeno effect forces the particle to stay in a position eigenstate, making its momentum totally indefinite. However, if constant position measurements are made, the wavefunction cannot evolve according to the Schrodinger equation and the particle can be stationary but still have a non-zero momentum.
jadrian
in q zeno effect, measuring, or observing a particle will effect its outcome. however, its been said on this forum that the hup is there whether we observe it or not. contradiction?

Physics news on Phys.org

Depending on your interpretation of quantum mechanics, the quantum Zeno effect can be thought of as not depending on human observation at all. You can have a machine carry out the measurement then when you look at the machine's readout you'll say exactly the same effect has occurred. Of course, you can always take the unfalsifiable position, ala Schrodinger's Cat, that the wavefunction of the particle-and-machine system was in a superposition of states until you walked into the room and observed the machine readout, at which point the wavefunction collapsed.

HUP = Heisenberg uncertainty principle? I don't follow your post...

If you are talking of that principle, I see no contradiction

I assume jadrian was asking how to reconcile the view that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle has nothing to do with human knowledge or observation with the quantum zeno effect. And my reply is that there's no particular reason to connect it to humans, because the same result occurs regardless of whether it is performed by humans.

I see it as no issue, because the repeated observation would be about one of the "non-compatible with others" observables. Or in the case that the system doesn't collapse, and you stop it from doing so- no need to worry about HUP.

I kind of understand the question OP asked and I'm puzzled too.

If I understand it right, q zeno effect means when you measure the state of a system, wave function collapse into one of the eigenstate, and if you repeat the measurement fast enough you'll get the same state because the wavefunction doesn't have enough time to "spread out".

So say you measure the position of say an atom, you get its point position in space, if you do it at an high enough frequency the atom would seems as if "frozen" in same position. This does sounds like violation of HUP?

enroger0 said:
I kind of understand the question OP asked and I'm puzzled too.

If I understand it right, q zeno effect means when you measure the state of a system, wave function collapse into one of the eigenstate, and if you repeat the measurement fast enough you'll get the same state because the wavefunction doesn't have enough time to "spread out".

So say you measure the position of say an atom, you get its point position in space, if you do it at an high enough frequency the atom would seems as if "frozen" in same position. This does sounds like violation of HUP?
It's not. The HUP states that you cannot have a quantum state that has both a definite position and a definite momentum. In the quantum Zeno effect, you are forcing the particle to stay in a position eigenstate, so its momentum will be totally indefinite. But you may ask, if the position isn't moving then isn't the momentum automatically zero? No. There is Ehrenfest's theorem that states that the expectation value of the momentum is the derivative of the expectation value of position with respect to time (times mass), but this theorem only covers the behavior of expectation values when the quantum state is undergoing unitary time evolution. But if constant position measurements are made of it, then its wavefunction cannot evolve according to the Schrodinger equation at all. That is why a particle can be stationary, but still not have zero momentum. So the HUP is saved!

For the record, I think the OP was asking about a different issue, the question of whether human knowledge matters.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that while you shouldn't just naively apply Ehrenfest's theorem to find the expectation value of the momentum, because unitary time evolution is not occurring, it turns out that you happen to get the right answer anyway if you do apply it. That's because, since the position uncertainty is zero, the momentum uncertainty is infinite, so the momentum is equally likely to take any value from negative infinity to infinity, which means that its average value is zero!

Last edited:

lugita15 said:
It's not. The HUP states that you cannot have a quantum state that has both a definite position and a definite momentum. In the quantum Zeno effect, you are forcing the particle to stay in a position eigenstate, so its momentum will be totally indefinite. But you may ask, if the position isn't moving then isn't the momentum automatically zero? No. There is Ehrenfest's theorem that states that the expectation value of the momentum is the derivative of the expectation value of position with respect to time (times mass), but this theorem only covers the behavior of expectation values when the quantum state is undergoing unitary time evolution. But if constant position measurements are made of it, then its wavefunction cannot evolve according to the Schrodinger equation at all. That is why a particle can be stationary, but still not have zero momentum. So the HUP is saved!

For the record, I think the OP was asking about a different issue, the question of whether human knowledge matters.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that while you shouldn't just naively apply Ehrenfest's theorem to find the expectation value of the momentum, because unitary time evolution is not occurring, it turns out that you happen to get the right answer anyway if you do apply it. That's because, since the position uncertainty is zero, the momentum uncertainty is infinite, so the momentum is equally likely to take any value from negative infinity to infinity, which means that its average value is zero!

Good explanation, though momentum uncertainty is infinite, its average value is indeed zero. If we can observe at extreme resolution we might find the particle doing random walk under repetitive measurement, for what little time wavefunction gets to evolve.

lugita15 said:

i don't regard human obsrvation as any different from machines observation. both would have effect on the future

im more concerned with its implications on true randomness and how we could possibly effect it if both situations are assumed to be governed by it.

jadrian said:
in q zeno effect, measuring, or observing a particle will effect its outcome. however, its been said on this forum that the hup is there whether we observe it or not. contradiction?

Eh? Any state which you keep going back to repeatedly using the quantum Zeno effect still has uncertainty associated with it and is therefore obviously in no way contradicting the HUP. How did you get that impresssion?

Related to Doesnt qtm zeno effect contadict the idea that hup is there even when not observed?

1. What is the QTM Zeno effect and how does it relate to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The QTM Zeno effect is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where frequent measurements or observations of a system can prevent it from undergoing a change. This is relevant to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle because it suggests that the act of measuring a particle's position can affect its momentum and vice versa.

2. Does the QTM Zeno effect contradict the fundamental idea of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

No, the QTM Zeno effect does not contradict the idea of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. In fact, it provides further evidence for the uncertainty principle by showing that frequent observations can affect the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

3. Can the QTM Zeno effect be observed in real life?

Yes, the QTM Zeno effect has been observed in various experiments involving quantum systems. For example, in the delayed-choice quantum eraser experiment, frequent measurements were shown to affect the interference pattern of particles, providing evidence for the QTM Zeno effect.

4. How does the QTM Zeno effect impact our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The QTM Zeno effect challenges our classical understanding of the physical world and highlights the unique behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also has implications for quantum computing and communication, as frequent observations may be necessary to maintain the integrity of quantum information.

5. Is the QTM Zeno effect a proven theory or still a subject of debate?

The QTM Zeno effect is a well-established phenomenon in quantum mechanics and has been observed in numerous experiments. However, there is ongoing debate and research surrounding its exact mechanisms and implications for the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.