Does Zero Electric Potential Necessarily Mean Zero Electric Field?

In summary, V=0 and E=0 at a point in space are related, as shown by the equation E = - dV/dx. When the electric field is not uniform, the electric potential at any point can be determined by this equation. If V=0, then E must also be 0. However, if E=0, V can either be 0 or a constant.
pinkerpikachu
1. If V= 0 at a point in space, must E=0 there? If E=0 at some point must V=0 at that point? And examples for each?

I'm pretty confused on both parts. I haven't really been understanding much of this electric charge/electric field stuff.

I know, just from an equation at V= -Ed, but I don't quite understand this conceptually.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the electric field is not uniform, the electric potential at any point is given be
E = - dV/dx i.e. negative tare of change of potential.
If V is zero E must be zero. If E = 0, V may be zero or a constant.

It is understandable to have difficulty understanding concepts related to electric charge and electric fields. Let me try to clarify the relationship between electric potential (V) and electric field (E) for you.

Firstly, it is important to understand that electric potential is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude but no direction. On the other hand, electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

Now, to answer your first question, if V=0 at a point in space, it does not necessarily mean that E=0 at that point. This is because electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point, while electric field is a measure of the force per unit charge at that point. So, even if there is no potential difference (V=0), there could still be an electric field present (E≠0) if there are charges nearby that are exerting a force.

As for your second question, if E=0 at a point, then V=0 at that point. This is because if there is no electric field present, there can be no potential difference between that point and any other point in space. An example of this would be a point in between two equally charged parallel plates, where the electric field is zero and so is the potential difference.

I hope this helps clarify the relationship between electric potential and electric field for you. It is important to keep in mind that these concepts can be tricky to understand, but with practice and further study, you will be able to grasp them better.

Related to Does Zero Electric Potential Necessarily Mean Zero Electric Field?

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electrical potential energy that a unit charge would have at a specific point in an electric field.

How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the intensity of an electric field at a specific point, while electric potential energy is the amount of energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field.

What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V), named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is the measure of the strength of an electric field at a specific point. It is the potential energy per unit charge that a charged particle would have at that point.

Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is pulling the charged particle in the opposite direction of the electric field lines.