Does work experience count in getting into a top US school?

In summary, if you have 7 years of work experience in a relevant field, and want to do a masters in a US school, your chances are good. However, it's important to do your research before spending money on a degree, and it's also important to consider whether you will be able to stay in the US if you graduates.
rayamr
Hi,

I have two majors ,one in Physics and the other is Electronics engineering.I have 7 years of work experience in Embedded systems and firmware development. I want to do MS from a reputed US university( like Stanford ,University of California Berkeley etc). Do you think I stand a good chance?I need your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the top schools (including Stanford and Berkeley, who even states that they will not consider students looking to earn a terminal Masters' in their graduate catalog) don't have terminal Masters' programs.

However, if you were applying to a graduate program, relevant work experience would certainly count for something.

rayamr said:
Hi,

I have two majors ,one in Physics and the other is Electronics engineering.I have 7 years of work experience in Embedded systems and firmware development. I want to do MS from a reputed US university( like Stanford ,University of California Berkeley etc). Do you think I stand a good chance?I need your opinions. Thanks in advance.

It depends on the type of degree. A lot of schools have masters degree programs for working professionals, but you do have to do your research before spending the money on those degrees. There are situations that I know of in which the school has a big name, but the working professionals program doesn't have a particularly good (or bad) reputation.

Also, if you are already working, then getting a brand name isn't that useful for career purposes.

It also makes a difference if you are in the US. Going to school in the US is a major route for immigration, and if your primary goal is to get into the US, then I wouldn't worry so much about going to a "top" school.

fss said:
Most of the top schools (including Stanford and Berkeley, who even states that they will not consider students looking to earn a terminal Masters' in their graduate catalog) don't have terminal Masters' programs.

It depends on the department. Physics departments almost uniformly Ph.D. programs, but there are terminal masters programs, and even terminal masters programs intended for working professionals.

twofish-quant said:
It depends on the department. Physics departments almost uniformly Ph.D. programs, but there are terminal masters programs, and even terminal masters programs intended for working professionals.

I didn't say there weren't terminal Masters' programs. However, Berkeley and Stanford do not have terminal Masters' programs, and it's uncommon for a "top school" to have such a program. Harvard does, but a small sampling of the top physics institutions (the two mentioned above plus MIT, Caltech, Princeton, Cornell, UChicago, and even some larger state schools like UMich, Univ. Illinois Urbana-Champaign) yields very few MA or MS programs.

fss said:
Harvard does, but a small sampling of the top physics institutions (the two mentioned above plus MIT, Caltech, Princeton, Cornell, UChicago, and even some larger state schools like UMich, Univ. Illinois Urbana-Champaign) yields very few MA or MS programs.

I think we were reading the OP's question in a different way. It wasn't clear to me whether or not the OP was referring just to MS in physics, or if he was interested in getting a masters degree in a related field. Stanford and Berkeley offer MS in financial mathematics.

Related to Does work experience count in getting into a top US school?

1. Does work experience count as a factor in the admissions process for top US schools?

Yes, work experience can definitely be a significant factor in the admissions process for top US schools. While academic achievements and test scores are important, admissions committees also value real-world experience and the skills and knowledge gained through work.

2. What type of work experience is most valued by top US schools?

There is no one type of work experience that is universally valued by top US schools. It ultimately depends on the individual school and their specific admissions criteria. However, in general, schools tend to value experiences that demonstrate leadership, responsibility, and a strong work ethic.

3. How much weight does work experience carry compared to other factors in the admissions process?

The weight given to work experience in the admissions process can vary among different schools. Some schools may place a strong emphasis on work experience, while others may place more weight on other factors such as academic achievements and extracurricular activities. It is important to research the specific admissions criteria for each school to understand how much weight they give to work experience.

4. Is work experience more important for certain majors or fields of study?

In some cases, work experience may be more important for certain majors or fields of study. For example, if you are applying to a business school, having relevant work experience in the business world may be more valuable. However, this can vary depending on the individual school and their admissions criteria.

5. Can work experience compensate for a lower GPA or test scores?

In some cases, work experience may be able to compensate for a lower GPA or test scores. This can be especially true if the work experience is directly related to the field of study you are applying for and demonstrates your skills and knowledge in that area. However, a strong academic record is still important for admissions to top US schools.