Does triple integrals have to have a specific interval?

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct boundaries for a triple integral and how changing the order of integration can affect the answer. It is important to define the boundaries correctly in order to get the same answer regardless of the order of integration.
Ayham
I hope this makes my question clear...
suppose we have a triple integral of dzdydx for [0<x<1 , sqt(x)<y<1 , 0<z<1-y] and from the sketch we can see that 0<y<1 and 0<z<1...
my question is this, if we change the integration to dzdxdy we get [0<x<y^2 , 0<y<1 , 0<z<1-y], is that the only way? or can we make the x like 0<x<1 or y^2<x<1 and still get the same answer?

I hope i made my question correctly clear, and sorry if i put this in the wrong place :)
help appreciated ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
Next time it is better to put things in LaTeX, read the FAQ for that, that would be a lot easier te read. But, to answer your question, as long as you define the boundaries of your integrals correct, you should get the same answer.
So if you get an different answer after changing from dxdydz to dydxdz, you probably messed up your boundaries.
(with boundaries I mean things like 0<x<1)

I hope I answered your question (:

Hi Ayham! :smile:
Ayham said:
suppose we have a triple integral of dzdydx for [0<x<1 , sqt(x)<y<1 , 0<z<1-y]

yes, you integrate wrt z first, keeping x and y constant

then you integrate wrt y, keeping x constant

then you integrate wrt x, and there aren't any constants left!
f we change the integration to dzdxdy we get [0<x<y^2 , 0<y<1 , 0<z<1-y], is that the only way? or can we make the x like 0<x<1 or y^2<x<1 and still get the same answer?

if you integrate wrt x second (instead of y), then you must keep y constant, you can't ignore it, it's still there …

0 < x < y2 :wink:

Related to Does triple integrals have to have a specific interval?

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of the concept of an integral in calculus to three dimensions. It is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region by dividing it into infinitesimally small pieces and summing their volumes.

2. Do triple integrals have to have a specific interval?

Yes, triple integrals have to have a specific interval or boundaries in order to be evaluated. These boundaries define the limits of integration for each variable in the three-dimensional space.

3. What happens if the interval for a triple integral is incorrect?

If the interval for a triple integral is incorrect, the resulting calculation will be incorrect as well. This can lead to an inaccurate volume calculation for the three-dimensional region.

4. Can the interval for a triple integral change depending on the problem?

Yes, the interval for a triple integral can change depending on the problem. It is important to carefully consider the boundaries and adjust them accordingly to accurately represent the three-dimensional region being evaluated.

5. Are there any special cases where the interval for a triple integral is different?

Yes, there are special cases where the interval for a triple integral may be different. For example, if the three-dimensional region has a symmetry that allows for easier integration, the interval may be adjusted to take advantage of this symmetry.