Does time move faster while measured from space or from earth?

In summary: But if two objects are close to each other, then the stronger field will cause the orbiting object's clock to run slower.
Rorkster2
If you were to have an atomic clock, would it registered that time is moving faster while earth-bound or while orbiting in a satellite?

Also, most atomic clocks measure the amount cesium vibrates a second, which is 9,192,631,770. If time moved 'slower' would this number drop, or would it increase? My guess is increase but I just want to be sure.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Rorkster2 said:
If you were to have an atomic clock, would it registered that time is moving faster while earth-bound or while orbiting in a satellite?

Well, first, the term's a bit misleading. But the stronger gravitational field would cause an orbiting observer to see a person on Earth's clock moving more slowly. (I imagine a person on Earth would see an orbiting observer's clock moving more quickly, but I have no evidence to back this.)

Also, most atomic clocks measure the amount cesium vibrates a second, which is 9,192,631,770. If time moved 'slower' would this number drop, or would it increase? My guess is increase but I just want to be sure.

What do you mean? An atomic clock, regardless of gravitational field, for any local observers, measures the same number of vibrations per second. Now, if the two are moving relative to each other, then SR kicks in, but neither's truly moving more slowly. When we finally get to GR, which is in a stronger gravitational field? The clock or the observer?

Whovian said:
What do you mean? An atomic clock, regardless of gravitational field, for any local observers, measures the same number of vibrations per second.
Not true. Time does move at a slightly different pace in space then on earth. And I know the answere is known to scientists. GPS satellites and other perscise communications from Earth to space need to take this 'time speed shift' into account or else everything would be off and GPS would not work in the manner intended. So the answere is somewhere, I am just hoping someone here knows it.

Rorkster2 said:
Not true. Time does move at a slightly different pace in space then on earth. And I know the answere is known to scientists. GPS satellites and other perscise communications from Earth to space need to take this 'time speed shift' into account or else everything would be off and GPS would not work in the manner intended. So the answere is somewhere, I am just hoping someone here knows it.

True. However, note that I stated local observers. Nearby observers will still see cesium atoms have 9,192,631,770 vibrations/sec. Observers in stronger gravitational fields than the atoms should see more, weaker less.

Rorkster2 said:
I answered my own question upon further research. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation) time passes slower in space.

Define what you mean. Are you saying that observers on Earth will see observers in space have slower clocks? Far as I can tell, this is the exact opposite of what happens.

Whovian said:
Define what you mean. Are you saying that observers on Earth will see observers in space have slower clocks? Far as I can tell, this is the exact opposite of what happens.

I mean people in space will have a slower clock that registers a slightly less amount of vibrations per second then an atomic clock on the Earth's surface due to the presents of more gravity.

Rorkster2 said:
I mean people in space will have a slower clock that registers a slightly less amount of vibrations per second then an atomic clock on the Earth's surface due to the presents of more gravity.
A ground clock sees a space clock as gravitationally blue shifted. A space clock sees a ground clock as gravitationally red shifted. So, if anything, both agree that the space clock is faster.

Rorkster2 said:
If people in space observer their clock in space, it will always have 9,192,631,770 oscillations per second. This is the definition of a second! If they observe a proper clock on earth, they will see less oscillations there, per second on their own clock.

With high orbits, general relativity dominates, and the effect is asymmetric - observers on Earth will see that the space clock ticks more than 9,192,631,770 times per Earth second.

The GPS satellites operate with a frequency of 10.22999999543 MHz (in their own frame), and we on Earth observe the signals with a frequency of 10.23 MHz - more ticks per second.

[what DaleSpam said]

Note that it is not the gravitational field strength that matters, per se. It is the depth in the gravitational potential field. A weak field that extends over a long distance will have the same effect in this respect as a strong field that extends over a short distance.

Note also that for orbitting clocks one needs to account for the relative velocity between a clock on the surface and one orbitting above. The orbitting clock will run slow because of its motion. [From an SR point of view, the orbitting clock is not at rest in an inertial frame]

Whether the "GR" effect of the low clock running slow or the "SR" effect of the rapidly moving clock running slow will dominate depends on whether the craft is in a high fast orbit or low slow one.

Thanks everyone this has been a big help

1. Does time move faster in space compared to Earth?

Yes, time moves faster in space compared to Earth due to the effects of gravitational time dilation. The stronger the gravitational pull, the slower time moves. Since Earth has a stronger gravitational pull than space, time moves slower on Earth.

2. How much faster does time move in space?

The exact amount of time dilation in space depends on the specific location and the strength of the gravitational field. However, astronauts in the International Space Station experience time moving approximately 0.007 seconds faster per day compared to people on Earth.

3. Is this difference in time measurable?

Yes, the difference in time between space and Earth is measurable using highly precise atomic clocks. These clocks are used on satellites and in other space missions to account for the effects of time dilation.

4. Are there any other factors that affect time dilation in space?

Yes, the speed at which an object is moving also affects time dilation. Objects moving at higher speeds experience time dilation at a greater rate compared to stationary objects. This is known as the theory of relativity.

5. How does time dilation in space impact space travel and exploration?

The effects of time dilation must be taken into account when planning space missions and travel. For example, astronauts on the International Space Station age slightly slower than people on Earth, which means they can technically travel into the future. However, this time difference is very small and not noticeable in day-to-day life.