Does this type of overthinking happen with everyone?

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, Karl Popper's book "Logic of Scientific Discovery" addresses the Demarcation problem and how difficult it can be for scientists to distinguish between what is science and what is not. The questions that come to mind for someone like me (a student studying data science) are difficult and some have yet to be answered. Overthinking can sometimes be a part of the process of learning and growing, but can also become a problem if it becomes too frequent.
Avichal
I sometimes, actually very frequently find myself over-thinking to the point where I have to stop everything and close my eyes.
As an example, just recently I was studying about data science and my brain goes like - What is data? How do you define data? What is science? When did the word "science" change its meaning from natural science to the more broader meaning it has now. How does brain develop new concepts like data science? How does my brain know what is data science and what is not? How does my brain classify information? And it goes on ...
All sorts of questions mainly related to psychology come to my mind. After one point, so much is going in my head that I just take a break and close my eyes.
All the questions are interesting but lately they have been too frequent and frankly a bit irritating.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Avichal, what you are thinking about sounds pretty human to me :smile:, but the questions you ask yourself span a number of large fields of study and some of your questions are very difficult indeed... (the wikilinks I provide below are general and only meant as examples).
Avichal said:
As an example, just recently I was studying about data science and my brain goes like - What is data? How do you define data?
I'm not sure exactly where you are in your studies, but I'd like to mention Information Theory, if you don't know about it already.
Avichal said:
What is science? When did the word "science" change its meaning from natural science to the more broader meaning it has now.
Studies of history of science will definitely be of help here :smile:.
Avichal said:
How does brain develop new concepts like data science? How does my brain know what is data science and what is not? How does my brain classify information?
Much more difficult questions (to me at least), this is part of neuroscience, which is interdisciplinary, and AFAIK there are many open questions here... and future work to be done :smile:.

Edit: By the way, I'm sorry I did not answer your original question "Does this type of overthinking happen with everyone?". My answer: from time to time, yes, maybe. But actually I don't really know :biggrin:.

Last edited:
That was just an example. I was just trying to say that, I am thinking a lot about questions that do not have answers yet. It's fascinating to think about them but as I said sometimes it just piles up and I give up.
Well, I'll just have to convince myself by saying that the world is too complicated and I can't know everything.

I think that curiosity and the hunger for knowledge are wonderful aspects of human nature :smile:
They have made us discover so many fascinating things about ourselves and our universe.

I sometimes wonder why people need so many myths in life, reality is so much more fascinating !

Related to Does this type of overthinking happen with everyone?

1. Does overthinking happen with everyone?

Overthinking is a common human experience and can happen to anyone. It is a result of our complex thought processes and can be triggered by various factors such as stress, anxiety, or past experiences.

2. Why do some people tend to overthink more than others?

There are various factors that can contribute to someone being more prone to overthinking, such as a history of anxiety or perfectionism. Personality traits, upbringing, and past experiences can also play a role in one's tendency to overthink.

3. Is overthinking harmful to our health?

While overthinking can be helpful in some situations, it can also have negative effects on our mental and physical health. Constantly dwelling on negative thoughts and worrying can lead to increased stress, anxiety, and even depression.

4. Can overthinking be controlled?

Yes, overthinking can be controlled with the help of mindfulness techniques, therapy, and self-awareness. By recognizing and acknowledging our thought patterns, we can learn to redirect our focus and break the cycle of overthinking.

5. When should I seek professional help for my overthinking?

If overthinking is affecting your daily life, causing distress, or interfering with your relationships and responsibilities, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. A therapist or counselor can provide you with tools and support to manage your overthinking and improve your overall well-being.