Does this spherical triangle exist?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the 'ant and honey problem on a spherical bowl' to find the shortest route between two points on a sphere, while being constrained by a maximum latitude. The proposed solution involves following the great circle between the two points, then walking along the latitude until the great circle is picked up again, and finally following it down to the destination. However, the validity of this solution is questioned and it is determined that the true shortest path involves choosing a great circle that just touches the rim of the bowl, and following it for a certain distance before switching to the latitude. This problem is then considered solved.
nixed
I am trying to solve the 'ant and honey problem on a spherical bowl' to find the shortest route between two points on a sphere when the path is constrained by not being allowed to pass higher than a certain latitude (so interrupting some great circles connecting the two points).

I intuitively think that the shortest route in this case would be to follow the great circle between the two points until the latitude is reached beyond which you cannot go; then walk along the latitude until the great circle is picked up again; then follow it down to the destination. But I have not been able to prove that this is the shortest route. If the following triangle exists then my proposed solution is not the shortest route, but if it doesn't exist then it is the shortest route.

Here is the question: Can a triangle be drawn on the surface of a sphere which has points A, A',B with known lengths A-A' and A'-B and included angle AA'B greater than 90deg for which the following property holds

|AB - AA'| < |A'B|

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think it would be better to stick to one thread for this question.

OK thanks ! By the way I discovered that my assumed shortest path is only a close approximation to the true shortest path so the proof I was attempting based on the inequality is invalid!

This is the shortest path when the great circle from A to H is disrupted by a latitude restriction imposed by the missing top of the bowl : Choose the great circle from A which just touches the rim circle tangentially at one point C. If the azimuthal angle ø of point C around the rim from A is < 90° the shortest path from A to H is then 2x the distance A to C along the great circle then C to point ø=90° along the latitude (the rim). If C 's azimuthal angle ø≥ 90° the shortest route is 2x the distance along the great circle connecting A with the point on the rim 90° from A.

Problem solved!

Related to Does this spherical triangle exist?

1. What is a spherical triangle?

A spherical triangle is a type of triangle formed on the surface of a sphere, with three curved sides and three angles. It is analogous to a two-dimensional triangle on a flat surface.

2. What conditions must be met for a spherical triangle to exist?

For a spherical triangle to exist, the sum of its angles must be less than 180 degrees, and all three sides must be less than the circumference of the sphere. Additionally, there must be at least one angle greater than 0 degrees and less than 180 degrees.

3. What are some real-world applications of spherical triangles?

Spherical triangles have many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, navigation, and geodesy. For example, they are used to calculate the positions of celestial bodies, to determine the shortest path between two points on the Earth's surface, and to measure the curvature of the Earth.

4. Can a spherical triangle have a right angle?

No, a spherical triangle cannot have a right angle. This is because a right angle on a sphere would have a measure of 90 degrees, which is greater than the maximum angle of 180 degrees allowed for a spherical triangle.

5. How is the area of a spherical triangle calculated?

The area of a spherical triangle is calculated using the spherical excess formula: Area = (sum of angles - 180 degrees) x (radius of sphere)^2. This formula takes into account the curvature of the sphere and allows for the calculation of the area even on a curved surface.