Does This Schedule Look Too Heavy For A Freshman EE Student?

In summary: It should be an A+.In summary, the electrical engineering freshman is taking 18 credits worth of classes, with six of them being easy A's. He is worried about the sheer volume of credits he will be tackling, but believes that with good study habits and a strong foundation in calculus, he will be able to make it through. Although modern physics is a bit above his level, he is confident that he can still handle it. Finally, he has been advised to take a second year engineering class in lieu of the programming class he initially wanted to take.
Davidthefat
I am an incoming electrical engineering freshman.

Integral Calculus (4)
Modern Physics: Waves, Optics, Quantum and Classical Mechanics (4)
Physics Lab (1)
EE 101 and Lab (2)
Intro To Programming and Lab (4)
Sculptural Ceramics (2)
Freshman Year Experience (1)

Programming is an easy A. (7 years of programming experience)
I am currently taking Data Structures and Algorithms in high school.
EE 101 should be an easy A.
So is Ceramics. But why ceramics? Cause I need a stress relieving class.
I am not at all worried about Calculus; I have a solid understanding of Calculus up to integrals and the various series.
Physics: I am worried about that. That's a Sophomore level physics for physics majors. Why am I taking it? Because it's freaking cool. I am currently in Physics C; I am sure I got at least a 4 on each test this week.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a typical schedule in terms of course load, although as you mention the physics class is a bit above your level. No harm though, if you find you don't have the extra time to sink into it there's no shame in dropping down to the freshman level classes. Other than that though, if anything it could be seen as a bit light.

That looks reasonable, as far as the credits and ease of subject go.

However, how are you taking modern physics without integral calculus??

It looks decent, but have make sure that you have a fall back strategy (i.e. if I am getting below grade X in class Y at time Z, then I'll drop Y.)

Also don't count on easy-A's. There are classes with deceptively simple course titles that turn out to be huge time sinks (laboratory courses are notorious for this.). If the course material online is there, I'd look through the tests first.

QuarkCharmer said:
That looks reasonable, as far as the credits and ease of subject go.

However, how are you taking modern physics without integral calculus??

Integral Calculus is a co requisite.

Modern physics is doable as a freshman, I did that. You don't really need advanced concepts from mechanics or E&M, so an AP background is sufficient.

As for the math involved, basic calculus should be enough for the most part. You'll need to pick up some stuff about PDEs but it won't be anything fancy. I don't think linear algebra and operators are done at the sophomore level (at least not in my class), so you don't need that.

Also why are you taking integral calculus if you already know the stuff? Don't think of it as an easy A because you know it, the intro classes have really harsh curves and probably half the people taking integral calculus already know it. Same with intro programming, you shouldn't be in that class. Do you plan on taking more CS classes down the road?

Why are you asking if it is too heavy if you are saying every class but one is an easy A?

I am worried about the pure volume of credits I will be tackling. 18 is the maximum allowed at school.

There is no way to get credit for intgral calculus or intro to programming. They are the pre reqs to most classes, so I have to take those classes.

Does your school actually enforce pre-reqs, as in, prevent you from registering?

If not, just ignore them. Come senior year when it's time to graduate, they're not going to make you go back and take integral calculus if you've done well in vector calculus/differential equations/etc. you might not be able to get course credit, but you can get a waiver or something and then take something else in place of it.

feuxfollets said:
Does your school actually enforce pre-reqs, as in, prevent you from registering?

If not, just ignore them. Come senior year when it's time to graduate, they're not going to make you go back and take integral calculus if you've done well in vector calculus/differential equations/etc. you might not be able to get course credit, but you can get a waiver or something and then take something else in place of it.

Alternatively, he may be able to take "placement tests" that let him skips the prereqs even if they don't give him credit for the courses.

I've received an email from the department head that he recommends that I take a "Mathematical Engineering" class instead of the programming class. That class is a second year EE class, but it goes over C and Matlab for EE.

Related to Does This Schedule Look Too Heavy For A Freshman EE Student?

1. Is it common for freshman EE students to have a heavy schedule?

It is not uncommon for freshman EE students to have a heavy schedule, as the curriculum for this major typically involves a lot of coursework and labs.

2. What are the potential consequences of a heavy schedule for a freshman EE student?

Potential consequences of a heavy schedule for a freshman EE student could include feeling overwhelmed, struggling to balance coursework and other responsibilities, and potential burnout.

3. Are there any benefits to having a heavy schedule as a freshman EE student?

Having a heavy schedule as a freshman EE student can help you build time management skills, challenge yourself academically, and potentially graduate earlier.

4. How can a freshman EE student determine if their schedule is too heavy?

It is important for a freshman EE student to consider their own capabilities and limitations, seek advice from academic advisors or upperclassmen, and make adjustments if they are struggling to keep up with their workload.

5. Can a heavy schedule be manageable for a freshman EE student?

Yes, a heavy schedule can be manageable for a freshman EE student with proper time management, prioritization, and seeking support when needed. It is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and taking care of your mental and physical well-being.