Does this look right? co2 question

• Thread starter Fishingaxe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary, the amount of carbon monoxide necessary to form 100 g of carbon dioxide is 70g. This formula is based on the balanced chemical equation 2CO + O2 -> 2CO2, where the masses of oxygen and carbon are approximately 16μ and 12μ, respectively. The correct formula should be 2CO + O2 -> 2CO2, and the correct calculation would be 100/32 = 3.125, which when multiplied by the total mass of carbon dioxide (44g) gives the result of 137.5g.
Fishingaxe

Homework Statement

calculate the amount of carbon monoxide necessary to form 100 g of carbon dioxide.

The Attempt at a Solution

2CO + O2 -> 2CO2

Oxygen atom mass ≈ 16μ
Carbon atom mass ≈ 12μ

There are 2 carbom atoms and 1 oxygen atom

100/16+24 = 2.5

2.5(16+12) = 70g

Answer: You need 70g CO2 to form 100g carbon dioxide.

Is this right? I've done some research in Swedish on similar problems and pretty much copy pasted the method. If this is right could someone please write what formula this is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chances are it would be right if not for the fact you messed up your math. CO2 is not an oxygen plus two carbon atoms.

Is it two oxygen + 1 carbon? :P

Yep. Take a look at the formula, or the name.

32 + 12 = 48

100/48 = 2.083
2.083(16+12?) = 58.324g

If this is correct why is it 16+12 in the "( )"? I do not yet understand this formula obviously. I know that 16+12 is the atom masses for oxygen and carbon together but why would this be in the formula?

Ye firstly I figured it was two oxygen + 1 carbon but another person who apparently "knew" chemistry at a website in swedish wrote it out like that so I figured he were more likely to be right than me. Apperently he was wrong.

Related to Does this look right? co2 question

What is CO2 and why is it important?

CO2, or carbon dioxide, is a colorless and odorless gas that is naturally present in our atmosphere. It is important because it plays a crucial role in regulating Earth's temperature and is essential for plant photosynthesis.

How does CO2 contribute to climate change?

CO2 is a greenhouse gas, meaning it absorbs and traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere. As the concentration of CO2 increases, more heat is trapped, leading to a rise in global temperatures and resulting in climate change.

What are the main sources of CO2 emissions?

The burning of fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas, is the largest source of CO2 emissions. Other sources include deforestation, transportation, and industrial processes.

What are the impacts of high levels of CO2 on the environment?

High levels of CO2 can lead to a variety of negative impacts on the environment, including rising sea levels, ocean acidification, and disruptions in weather patterns. It can also harm plant and animal life and contribute to air pollution.

How can we reduce CO2 emissions?

There are several ways to reduce CO2 emissions, including using renewable energy sources, improving energy efficiency, reducing deforestation, and implementing carbon capture and storage technologies. Additionally, individuals can make small changes in their daily lives, such as using public transportation or biking instead of driving, to help reduce their carbon footprint.