Does this connect Quantum Theory and Special Relativity?

In summary: I don't think this is true. In a frame with infinite momentum, the affine parameter along the null worldline of a photon is still undefined, so there is no way to specify a "point" on the past light cone. And even if we could, the affine parameter is not the only measure of "out of date"-ness. In fact, in a frame with infinite momentum, the affine parameter becomes irrelevant and other measures, such as the coordinate time or proper time of an observer, become more important. So I still don't think this interpretation is useful or accurate. In
QuantumTheoryThinker
This is probably extremely wrong I just want to know how. If photons don't experience time doesn't that mean they are every where at once, and if that is true doesn't part of quantum physics say before a particle is observed its in all the states it can be in? So doesn't that apply in that sense since connecting special relativity and quantum theory in some way? Btw I'm not even learning this in school yet for probably a couple of years so I'm probably extremely wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumTheoryThinker said:
If photons don't experience time

This is not correct. A better way of saying it is that the concept of "experiencing time" doesn't make sense for photons.

doesn't that mean they are every where at once

No.

If photons don't experience time doesn't that mean they are every where at once
They are everywhere at once in the direction of flight only. The transversal position is well-defined as it commutes with the momentum in the direction of flight.

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
A. Neumaier said:
They are everywhere at once in the direction of flight only

I don't think this is correct. Different events on a null worldline are distinct; even though proper time cannot be used as an affine parameter along a null worldline, there are other affine parameters that can be used, and each event on the worldline has a distinct value of the affine parameter. It is true that there is not a well-defined "position operator" for a photon, but that's not the same as saying it's "everywhere at once".

PeterDonis said:
I don't think this is correct. It is true that there is not a well-defined "position operator" for a photon, but that's not the same as saying it's "everywhere at once".
Of course saying it is ''everywhere at once'' is an interpretation issue, but you cannot say it is not correct since one cannot disprove it without making philosophical assumptions. it is at least as correct as saying that a photon is a particle.

In fact, it is a very good visualization for the physical properties, as it explains in an effortless way why we perceive the whole boundary of the past light cone as our present.

In addition, according to the uncertainty principle, a completely well defined frequency means (in the limit of a massive particle with exceedingly tiny mass, where a position operator is still well-defined) a completely well-defined longitudinal momentum and hence a completely undetermined longitudinal position .

A. Neumaier said:
you cannot say it is not correct since one cannot disprove it without making philosophical assumptions

Perhaps a better wording than "correct" would be "not useful for this discussion".

A. Neumaier said:
In fact, it is a very good visualization for the physical properties, as it explains in an effortless way why we perceive the whole boundary of the past light cone as our present.

But it also invites the incorrect inference that the entire boundary of our past light cone is our present. The information coming to us from our past light cone is not "present" information; it is out of date, and how out of date it is varies according to how far "back" in our past light cone it is (where "back" here means "how different the value of the appropriate affine parameter is compared to its value at our current event"). So I still don't think that this viewpoint is useful.

A. Neumaier said:
according to the uncertainty principle, a completely well defined frequency means (in the limit of a massive particle with exceedingly tiny mass, where a position operator is still well-defined) a completely well-defined longitudinal momentum and hence a completely undetermined longitudinal position .

This is true, but the OP did not talk about photons with a completely precise frequency. It just talked about photons.

On consideration, I have changed the level of this thread from "I" to "B", given the OP's apparent background. @QuantumTheoryThinker , I suspect that most of the responses given so far have been somewhat over your head. However, more information about exactly what level of school you are in would help.

PeterDonis said:
The information coming to us from our past light cone is not "present" information; it is out of date, and how out of date it is varies according to how far "back" in our past light cone it is
This is again a question of interpretation.

How far out of date it is according to your definition is frame dependent, and by going to a nearly infinite momentum frame, you can make any point on the past light cone almost vanishingly little out of date. Being not covariant, your notion of ''out of date'' is unphysical and therefore
PeterDonis said:
"not useful for this discussion"

A. Neumaier said:
How far out of date it is according to your definition is frame dependent

Yes, fair point.

Related to Does this connect Quantum Theory and Special Relativity?

1. How does Quantum Theory and Special Relativity connect?

Quantum Theory and Special Relativity are two fundamental theories in physics that describe the behavior of the smallest particles and the laws of motion in the universe, respectively. While they may seem contradictory, they can be connected through the concept of quantum field theory, which explains the behavior of particles at high speeds and small scales.

2. What is the importance of connecting Quantum Theory and Special Relativity?

Connecting these two theories is crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe and developing a complete theory of physics. It helps us explain phenomena that cannot be understood by only one theory, such as black holes and the behavior of particles in extreme conditions.

3. Can you give an example of how Quantum Theory and Special Relativity are connected?

One example is the theory of quantum electrodynamics, which combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the behavior of particles and electromagnetic waves. This theory has been successfully used to explain many phenomena, such as the behavior of atoms and the interactions between particles and light.

4. Are there any conflicts between Quantum Theory and Special Relativity?

While there may be apparent conflicts between these theories, such as the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics and the constant speed of light in special relativity, they can be reconciled through mathematical calculations and interpretations. In fact, many scientists believe that these theories are complementary and together provide a more complete understanding of the universe.

5. How is the connection between Quantum Theory and Special Relativity being studied?

Scientists are constantly conducting experiments and developing new theories to better understand the connection between Quantum Theory and Special Relativity. This includes studying the behavior of particles at high energies, conducting tests with large particle accelerators, and exploring the implications of these theories in cosmology and astrophysics.