Does the volume of water affect efficiency of heater?

In summary, Daniel conducted a physics experiment to determine if the volume of water in a calorimeter affects the efficiency of an immersion heater. He used the formula q=mcT to calculate energy output and P=VI and E=PxT to calculate energy input. His results showed that as the volume of water increased, the efficiency of the heater decreased. He is seeking an explanation for this and has considered the possibility of increased heat loss due to a larger surface area of water. He is also asked to provide details of his experiment, results, and analysis. Additionally, there is a suggestion to calibrate the calorimeter and consider thermal conduction down the wires.
Daniel Manetas
Ok, so i did a physics experiment a few days ago and now i have to do a write up. The question is does the volume of water in the calorimeter affect the efficiency of the immersion heater? Could someone pls explain to me what happens & y? My results showed that as you increase the volume, the efficiency decreases. Anyone know why that happened?

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Daniel!

You will have to provide some details of your experiment. The first step in getting help is providing a clear statement of the problem.

AM

It's not only the first step in getting help, it's also the indispensable first step to find an answer!

Ok, so i used the formula q=mcT to work out the energy output and P=VI then E=PxT to work out the energy input, then divide these by each other to work out the efficiency. Does anyone know why i got the results i did? Like the scientific reasoning behind it.

Have you considered what changes when you increase the volume of water? There is more surface area, so there could be more heat loss. Could that account for it.?

You will have to explain:
1. How you conducted the experiment I.e. the setup, what you did and what you measured
2. Your result, and
3. How you analysed the results

Just a few quick comments:

You seem to be using T for two different quantities: 1. change in temperature and 2. Time.

It is difficult to understand how an electric heating element would be much less than 100% efficient in converting electrical energy into heat.

AM

Last edited:
+1

Immersion heaters are generally 100% efficient in that all the heat they dissipate ends up in the water. Some might be lost by thermal conduction down the wires but that's usually small enough to be negligible.

I agree with ntl2009 in that the losses might affect the results. Normally you have to calibrate the calorimeter, perhaps by measuring how much power is needed to maintain a steady water temperature.

Did the water boil?

Related to Does the volume of water affect efficiency of heater?

What is the relationship between water volume and heater efficiency?

The volume of water can affect the efficiency of a heater. When there is a larger volume of water, it takes longer for the entire volume to reach the desired temperature, resulting in a longer heating time and potentially lower efficiency.

How does the type of heater affect the impact of water volume on efficiency?

The type of heater can also play a role in how water volume affects efficiency. For example, a tankless water heater heats water on demand, so the volume of water may not have as significant of an impact on efficiency compared to a traditional tank heater.

What is the optimal water volume for maximum efficiency of a heater?

The optimal water volume for maximum efficiency of a heater may vary depending on the specific heater and its design. However, in general, a smaller volume of water will heat up quicker and result in higher efficiency compared to a larger volume of water.

Can changing the water volume improve the efficiency of a heater?

In some cases, changing the water volume can improve the efficiency of a heater. For example, if a hot water tank is consistently underutilized, reducing the volume of water can result in quicker heating times and higher efficiency. However, it is important to consider the needs and usage of the household before making any changes to the water volume.

Are there any other factors besides water volume that can affect the efficiency of a heater?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the efficiency of a heater, such as the age and condition of the heater, the temperature setting, and the insulation of the tank. It is important to regularly maintain and service the heater to ensure optimal efficiency.