Does the use of error bars pertain to this experiment?

In summary: I am not sure how this would help you.In summary, the conversation discusses a real bench experiment and two computer models that generate results. There is one result from each test, totaling three numbers. The real test setup and one computer model have similar results, while the other computer model has a slightly higher result. The question is whether this higher result is within range of the other results and if error bars would be a suitable approach to analyze the data. The expert suggests that without more context, it is difficult to determine a mathematical approach and suggests looking at other reports or briefings for guidance.
hydronicengr
I'm currently performing a real bench experiment that would essentially validate the results of those generated in two different computer models.

Essentially, there is one (real) test setup, one computer model, and another (but different) computer model.

I have ONE result from each of the tests, so in total I have three numbers. The real test setup and one of the computer models are similar to each other at 2.70 and 2.71, respectively. The other computer model is 2.80.

I want to see if the last computer model result of 2.8 is "acceptable" or falls "within range" of the other results.

I was told to use error bars, but I'm not sure if this would be the best approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
hydronicengr said:
I have ONE result from each of the tests, so in total I have three numbers.
I want to see if the last computer model result of 2.8 is "acceptable" or falls "within range" of the other results.

I was told to use error bars, but I'm not sure if this would be the best approach.

If you have one result from each test and this result is not the average of many other replications of the test, then I can't think of any reasonable interpretation of your question which has a convincing mathematical answer.

Perhaps you have a sociological problem, not a mathematical problem. Are you preparing a report or briefing or article that will be evaluated by other people. If so, you should look at other reports or briefings that they liked and copy whatever methods were used.

Your request to determine whether 2.8 is "acceptable" doesn't define a specific mathematical problem. The best I can do to mind read what you want is to day that you want to assume that the number 2.70 and 2.71 are drawn independently from the same Normal distribution and you want to compute an estimate of the mean and standard deviation of this distribution. Then you want to draw a bar whose center is the estimated mean and whose width is a certain number of the estimated standard deviations. You can certainly do that. It isn't a mathematical proof of anything.

If two of the numbers come from deterministic models, it would require some verbal contortions to explain how they come to be viewed as "random" samples. I suppose you could claim that the decisions made in creating the simulations involve some random choices.

Related to Does the use of error bars pertain to this experiment?

1. What are error bars?

Error bars are graphical representations of the uncertainty or variability in data. They are typically used in scientific experiments to show the range of possible values for a particular measurement or data point.

2. Why are error bars important in experiments?

Error bars provide a visual indication of the precision and reliability of the data collected in an experiment. They allow scientists to evaluate the significance of their results and make informed conclusions about their findings.

3. How are error bars calculated?

Error bars can be calculated using various methods, depending on the type of data and the experimental design. Common methods include standard deviation, standard error, and confidence intervals.

4. Do all experiments require the use of error bars?

No, not all experiments require the use of error bars. Error bars are typically used when there is variability in the data, such as in measurements or observations. If the data is consistent and there is no need to show uncertainty, error bars may not be necessary.

5. Can error bars be used in any type of graph or plot?

Yes, error bars can be used in a variety of graphs and plots, such as bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, and more. They can also be customized to show different levels of confidence or variability, depending on the needs of the experiment.