Does the university matter for an undergrad student?

In summary: Most people would say that they are.In summary, if you are planning to go to graduate school, it matters which school you go to. A physics baccalaureate from a good school will help you compete for a graduate school program, but you will need to take some non-physics classes and/or do some training to make sure you have a good chance of getting a job after you graduate.
2Late4Dodos
Hi I am a 20 year old college student currently studying at my local community college. I am getting the itch to transfer sooner than expected. This coming spring will be my second college semester and I should have 26 credit hours done by the end of May. If I continue with my grades I don't see why I would have a problem transferring to a university by fall 2014.

I am looking at colleges now, being located in Texas. I plan on applying to public schools only. The big name universities I can think of are UT and Texas A&M. Either of which I will be extremely grateful to be accepted into. What should I look for in a university when applying for their physics program? Also, does it truly matter if I go to a lesser name school, say UTSA? It's a lot closer to home and I could still live at home and save money.

Thank you for reading my post. I appreciate the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it matters. If your degree is in physics, that means you are planning to go to graduate school. (If you aren't planning to go to graduate school you probably shouldn't be majoring in physics.) Graduate schools do pay attention to the school from which you obtained your baccalaureate.

If your degree is in engineering and you plan to go straight to industry, corporations similarly pay attention to the school from which you graduated. The better employers will selectively recruit from the better schools. The not-so-good employers will selectively recruit from the not-so-good schools.

If your degree is in physics, that means you are planning to go to graduate school. (If you aren't planning to go to graduate school you probably shouldn't be majoring in physics.)
I'm majoring in physics and definitely have no plans to go to graduate school. What's wrong with getting a simple bachelor's in physics?

I'd recommend at least double majoring I an engineering field if you don't want to go to graduate school. It is very difficult to get a job (at least a relevant and decently paying one) with a physics degree alone. You could always major in engineering and minor in physics or take physics as your concentration, you would still be able to learn physics and have a marketable degree as well.

leroyjenkens said:
I'm majoring in physics and definitely have no plans to go to graduate school. What's wrong with getting a simple bachelor's in physics?
The purpose of a physics baccalaureate is to prepare an undergraduate for a career in physics. You don't get a career in physics with a mere bachelors degree. A career in physics requires an advanced degree, preferably a PhD. Your undergrad program in physics is geared toward teaching you the knowledge you need to make you competitive for a graduate school program. It is not geared toward making you competitive for a job in industry.

You will need to take some applicable (i.e., non-physics) classes and/or some training (e.g., internships) that will make employers want to hire you if you want to go directly to industry after obtaining your physics baccalaureate.

Your undergrad school does matter somewhat. Both UT and TAMU are top universities with a lot of respect in academia and industry. You would have no doors closed to you coming out of either. UTSA is not well known so you might have a bit of an energy barrier to overcome (see a bit of physics humor) if you try to get into a top graduate school from there. I'm not saying it isn't possible but it will be more difficult.

Perhaps this goes without saying, but I think it's easy to fall into a fallacy where one expects the name of the school to work in one's favour, which I don't think is the case. Mediocre grades will not be compensated for by the name of a school. A lot of physics courses are pretty standard and admissions committees do pay attention to those core courses. I don't personally know of any admission committees that have adjusted with weighting of a students GPA based on the name of a school (outside of converting to a common scale).

I think the "bigger name" schools essentially offer more opportunities. Bigger schools tend to have more research going on, and more opportunities for undergraduate student involvement. They likely also have a broader range of courses. So whereas someone going through a smaller school may be limited to senior courses in what the faculty members happen to be interested in, at a larger school one would have more options to explore one's interests.

The real question is whether such opportunities are worth paying the extra-high price for.

Related to Does the university matter for an undergrad student?

1. Does the university's reputation affect job opportunities for undergrad students?

Yes, a university's reputation can play a role in job opportunities for undergrad students. Employers may view graduates from more prestigious universities as having a higher level of education and therefore more desirable for certain positions.

2. Can a student still be successful if they don't attend a highly ranked university?

Yes, the university a student attends does not solely determine their success. Factors such as their dedication, hard work, and networking abilities can also greatly impact their success.

3. Is it worth going into debt to attend a highly ranked university?

This ultimately depends on each individual's financial situation and goals. While a highly ranked university may provide more opportunities, it is important to consider the long-term financial implications of taking on debt for undergraduate education.

4. How important is the location of the university for an undergrad student?

The location of the university can play a role in the overall college experience for undergrad students. It can also impact opportunities for internships and networking. However, it is not the sole factor in determining the success of a student.

5. Are smaller, less known universities just as good as larger, well-known universities for undergrad students?

It depends on the individual university and its programs. Smaller universities may offer a more personalized education and smaller class sizes, while larger universities may have more resources and opportunities. It is important for students to research and consider their individual needs and goals when choosing a university.